atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: TomMar Where to purchase Icky Pic? - 09/26/08 10:38 AM
Where can I buy some 12 or 6 pair Icky pic cable?
Thanks
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Where to purchase Icky Pic? - 09/26/08 10:43 AM
How much do you need?
Posted By: TomMar Re: Where to purchase Icky Pic? - 09/26/08 11:02 AM
Probably several thousand feet. One of my locations has been wired with cat5 cable in conduits comingled with high voltage wiring. Trying to explain to he physical plant people that this is not exceptable. Unbelievable they are not sure why!!!
Can someone also recommend a water tight termination point for 12 pair cable. Need to replace an improper termination point in a parking garage.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Where to purchase Icky Pic? - 09/26/08 11:19 AM
I'd suggest Clifford of Vermont. They ship out of PA, so shipping cost and delivery time will be minimal to NY. Their number is 800-451-4381. They will also have the terminals you are seeking if you tell them what you are doing with them.
Posted By: TomMar Re: Where to purchase Icky Pic? - 09/26/08 11:24 AM
Thanks. Any good links so I can show my physical plant people that telephone and electrical lines should not be co-mingled?
Posted By: hbiss Re: Where to purchase Icky Pic? - 09/26/08 11:47 AM
I don't think you are going to find any links. It's in the NEC but you won't know where to look or how to interpret it. How about the local electrical inspector?

-Hal
Posted By: TomMar Re: Where to purchase Icky Pic? - 09/26/08 12:06 PM
I am afraid to get a local inspector involved and be forced to do the work. We are all one company and I do not want to make another department look bad. I would however like them to know how they should be doing their job correctly. We have 11 emergency phones that are wired incorrectly. I explained to them that a seperate conduit is needed for high and low voltage. The just finished another job where they ignored my request for seperate conduit and told me there is nothing wrong with comingling high and low voltage. I only had the installation guide for the emergency phone which states a seperate conduit is needed. They are the people that should know the code, yet they do not.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Where to purchase Icky Pic? - 09/26/08 01:19 PM
NEC does not allow wiring of different voltages to occupy the same conduit or other raceway unless all cables/conductors are rated for the highest voltage that is present. There is no form of telephone cable that is designed to occupy the same raceway with any other wiring rated at 50 volts or higher.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Where to purchase Icky Pic? - 09/26/08 01:48 PM
NEC does not allow wiring of different voltages to occupy the same conduit or other raceway unless all cables/conductors are rated for the highest voltage that is present.

That's not exactly true. If the high voltage is a listed cable like MC, AC, TC, even romex (NM) then the conduit or raceway becomes a chase just like a bay in a wall. Then you can run LV cables through it without regard for voltage ratings.

If the HV is individual conductors (and this is what you are talking about Ed) like THHN then the Code only allows LV in the same conduit or raceway if: 1)The low voltage conductors or cable has the same insulation rating as the HV conductors and 2) the LV is functionally necessary for the operation of whatever the HV is powering.

So, from what the OP is saying neither of these cases apply.

-Hal
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Where to purchase Icky Pic? - 09/26/08 02:02 PM
Geez............I was going to mention tray cable, but I didn't think that I needed to go that far into detail. Busted again. wink
Posted By: hbiss Re: Where to purchase Icky Pic? - 09/26/08 02:30 PM
Tray cable (TC) is really nice stuff. I'm told it's better than romex and if it wasn't for politics it would have replaced it.

-Hal
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Where to purchase Icky Pic? - 09/26/08 02:47 PM
To answer the first question:

GrayBar, or any electrical supplier, can provide 6- or 12-pair buried service wire. It comes in 24 gauge and 22 gauge. Professional telephone people use 22 G.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Where to purchase Icky Pic? - 09/26/08 03:55 PM
What exactly is tray cable? I've heard of it but never seen it...
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Where to purchase Icky Pic? - 09/26/08 04:47 PM
Tray cable is typically black PVC jacketed cable with any combination of conductors inside. It is very similar in appearance to black rubber cord, but the conductors are typically type THHN and there can be dozens of them. Tray cable is typically used in, well cable trays. If it wasn't in cable form, there could easily be hundreds of individual conductors flying all over the place in the tray. Tray cable can be used in other applications, in fact some can actually be directly-buried.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help