atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: smags 66 block wiring strategies - 05/26/08 08:55 PM
Does anyone have a recomendation on a good how-to reference for 66 block wiring strategies? Preferably something written with pictures.
-smags
Posted By: MacOSX Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 05/27/08 04:10 AM
Telephone & Data Introduction Class (PDF 2.02MB)

The 66 block pages are 24~30/102
Posted By: smags Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 05/27/08 05:04 AM
Wow, thank you very much.
~smags
Posted By: mgere Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 05/27/08 06:06 AM
That is a very informative document.

Thanks
Posted By: grider Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 05/27/08 07:19 AM
smags, Welcome to our forum. I monitored some of your original questions in the general forum. You seem to have the ability to learn which is sometimes rare.

The previous link provided has excellent pictures for reference. I would like to touch on one thing for you to always remember. The value of the 66 block is that it will create a well organized and space conservative end to the many wires coming into the closet location. Once you have terminated those cables the pins on the 66 block will forever be the end of the pair. They will never get any shorter as long as no one gets foolish and thinks the only way to connect to a terminated pair is to pluck it off the block and twist on some other connection. That also explains the value of the use of jumper wire. Connect the jumper and a circuit is completed. Pull the jumper to make a change later on and you dispose of about a penny's worth of copper. Plus you create a length of only what is needed, no waste or consumption of valuable space. This is something you cannot accomplish with a patch panel and patch cables.

In you closet location you might have many cables that you have no idea where they go. It is a good idea to terminate them on a 66 block. They go somewhere and someday the ability to connect to one of them might come in handy.

Good Luck
Posted By: EV607797 Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 05/27/08 11:23 AM
Oh my goodness. This document is yet another case of a "professional" instructing aspiring professionals as to how things should be done. Aside from numerous typographical errors, there are contradictions all over the place.

"66 blocks should not be used for installations"? His illustration clearly shows a Suttle brand clear cover marked CAT5E. I have cases of them in stock, brand-new. True, with the illustrations shown, they are not CAT5/5e compliant, but the "over/under" method shown later is very much compliant.

"RJ45 is a typical Ethernet or LAN cable"....."Switches or hubs have female RJ45 jacks". There was never an RJ designation assigned for Ethernet/LAN wiring........never ever.

Later on, there is discussion regarding the "old USOC RJ" (registered jack) codes. He also refers to an "RJ11" as a one or two-line jack. Nope.

RJ11 is a 6P4C or 6P6C jack wired for only one line. An RJ14 is the same wired for two lines.

A 6P6C jack may have one, two or three lines wired to it, depending upon the application. The number of lines determines whether this piece of hardware is wired for RJ11, RJ14 or RJ25 service. By the way, there are lots of other "RJ" codes that can be associated with this jack, depending upon how it is wired.

An RJ45 never used more than pins 4, 5, 7 and 8, period. Quite a stretch from today's LAN configurations, huh? What's a LAN jack called that is wired for POE? "RJ46"? I think not.

These "professionals" are not sending the proper message, hence the entire industry today consisting of misnomers and errant information. While the general content of this document is good, it needs a lot of work in order to be accurate. Not bad for a basic learning tool, but that's about it.

Sorry, but today's "professionals" usually have no true experience in the modular jack concept that was originally formulated in the mid 1970's. They have just adapted their current ways, modified the original connectors' uses and developed their own terminology.

For those of you who know me, you probably feel that I have way too much time on my hands. I know that it would be easier to just roll over and play dead, but it bothers me when IT people have decided to step in and take over an entire industry based upon assumptions, bad advice and erroneous information.

The author is more than likely a representative of BICSI or a hardware manufacturer. Most of these people have no understanding of the USOC/RJ designation program and in most cases, many manufacturers of current hardware never even existed under these standards. Most current manufacturers of imported hardware have jumped upon the bandwagon of following the erroneous terminology. This further complicates newcomers' abilities to understand the true industry standards.
Posted By: justbill Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 05/27/08 11:29 AM
Deep breaths Ed, breath real deep. Coorsthirty is just around the corner. Good info Ed hope it takes this time.
Posted By: smags Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 05/27/08 07:11 PM
thank you all. I have one question which is not really covered in this doc. I understand that on a 66 block (split) that all of the drops/permanent wiring get punched down to the outside clips. Here is dumb question #1, where does the incoming telco line typically get punched down (assume the incoming telco is CAT5e with 1 to 4 lines). Specifically which clips? I understand that once everything is punched down you can then wire jumper or use bridge clips utilizing the center clips to liven the drop lines. Also (dumb question #2) if there is only one live incoming pots line - Am I correct to assume that you punch down the other 3 pair anyway? #3, I read somewhere that the left side of the block is reserved for incoming telco and the right side is for the drops. Is this really standard practice? Seems like a waste of space to me on the left side if you only have one incoming CAT5e. OK I'm ready to get yelled at smile
Posted By: dexman Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 05/27/08 07:50 PM
While it can be done, using CAT5 to wire POTs lines is really overkill.

The cable used to deliver POTs lines to buildings is CAT0 so switching over to CAT5 really doesn't provide any benefits. The old familiar 2-pair cable will work quite nicely and is less expensive than 5 or 5E smile .
Posted By: justbill Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 05/27/08 09:26 PM
Your questions are hard to answer since you don't know if a phone system or just POTS lines are connecting to your station drops. Telco will either be looped to your drops for POTS or into the system.

Yes you punch down all station wiring.

Once again depends on what you're doing with the stations and the size of the project. On a small project not knowing if you'll have a system installed or just POTS lines I'd just terminate all stations on one side and jumper direct to equipment or loop pots and bridge clip. On a large known system install I'd terminated station cables on both sides of the block and jumper from the station equipment side of my system blocks. This is why you need to know what you're wiring it for.
Posted By: hbiss Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 05/27/08 09:33 PM
The author is more than likely a representative of BICSI or a hardware manufacturer.

Dunno about that but I do know that he is a sparkie. I actually complemented him on that (and he was grateful that the compliment was coming from me) over at Mike Holt's sparkie board when he provided it for them to read. I introduced it here, mainly for critique. True, there are lots of things we see that should be changed but I figure it's the closest thing they have to a text on the subject. If the sparkies read and understand one quarter of it, even with the errors they will be better off than what they are now.

-Hal
Posted By: grider Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 05/28/08 04:51 AM
The documents value is that there are pictures to refer to. As far as the terminology references I must admit I never read them. The reason being that I remember it being posted in the other location and I even remember Hal being complimented on it. Since it was created by a sparkie I only valued it as a source of quality photography, not quality technical information.

Now as far as the questions from smags.

Terminating all pairs of station cables to 66 blocks in the selected central location is done to have continued access to the ends without damaging the integrity of the building infrastructure.

The connection of CO lines to station cables can't be answered in the generic sense like the station cables can. That is a question requiring more information that is specific to the location.
Posted By: Corwyn Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 05/28/08 04:51 AM
"What's a LAN jack called that is wired for POE? "RJ46"?"

Ed,

I love it! I think we should all start using this in quotes so it totally confuses the sparkies and the CGs. Call it the latest standard for POE wiring smile and if you don't knwo what it is - well then you obviously are not qualified to bid onthis job wink
Posted By: MacOSX Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 05/28/08 06:29 AM
Originally posted by smags:
Does anyone have a recomendation on a good how-to reference for 66 block wiring strategies? Preferably something written with pictures.
-smags

Originally posted by MacOSX:
Telephone & Data Introduction Class (PDF 2.02MB)

The 66 block pages are 24~30/102
Ed, the poster asked for a reco on a good how-to, with pics and that's where I directed them. I know it's full of typo's and terminology errors, but I wasn't posting it for any other reason than the request of the original post. I actually came across that book thanks to Hal, and have referred many people to it for exactly what it is... a quick, 102 page, Telephone & Data Introduction, with pictures. I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 05/28/08 08:05 AM
Mr. Smags:

The CO lines are generally terminated on a separate dedicated 66M50 block. The pairs can be "multipled" along the left side (Row 1) to provide several (multiple) appearances of the same telephone number(s).

Start at the top, and using the loop-through method (punch-down tool turned with the non-cutting blade exposed) make several appearances, going down Row 1. The number of multiples for each of the 4 pairs is dependent upon whether the job calls for all CO lines to appear every where (non-KSU phones) or whether the lines will be cross-connected to a KSU. I generally assume that I will need several appearances of each line, even using a KSU. That's because some lines may need to be wired to external bells, answering machines, fax machines, credit card terminals, etc etc etc.

With the 66 block, and 4 incoming lines, you can get 6 sets of pins on Row 1 for each line (4 x 6 = 24) and then use bridging clips to carry the lines over to row 4, where you will cut down the cross-connections. The bridging clips are used to open each appearance, one at a time, for trouble-shooting.

Label the block "CO Feeds" and then put the circuit numbers on a piece of paper (called the "brain") and leave a copy in the back of the 89B bracket, and a copy in your file cabinet at the office, for future reference. The brain should consist of several pieces of paper, each with the assignments of each 66 block.

Don't go to any job with the original copy of the brain...always make a photocopy to take with you before leaving the office. I have OCD and AHHD, so I speak from experience that someday you will lose your brain, and having the original safe in the file cabinet will save you.
Posted By: telemarv Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 05/28/08 02:26 PM
Where's the BIX??
Posted By: skip555 Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 05/28/08 03:02 PM
Originally posted by telemarv:
Where's the BIX??
[Linked Image from home.iprimus.com.au]
Posted By: MooreTel Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 05/28/08 03:57 PM
Skip....

Just goes to prove that BIX is becoming more & more popular. It's catching on all over the world! laugh

BTW, I don't remember ANY "How To" thread on this board for BIX. Must mean that it's simple & effecient to use. Then again, maybe only Canadians are skilled enough to use them. laugh
Posted By: skip555 Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 05/28/08 05:54 PM
you might be on to something Dave , if we all switched to BIX can you imagine the sparky s and CG's trying to figure what to do ?
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 05/28/08 06:01 PM
Or maybe they are the only ones that have the spare time to waste! smile Wait, I'll have time starting next week! Anything is better than cleaning out the garage. Well, maybe not. Gotta think about that for a while. I'll get back to you in a week or so. John C. (Not Garand)
Posted By: smags Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 05/28/08 07:35 PM
very helpfull posts. I love this forum. Thanks again,
~smags
Posted By: soyons-expositifs Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 05/29/08 05:09 AM
bix is too simple, confuses the people down south dave. I just moved a 8x24 with 2 0x24s and a nam from one building to another, punched down all the extensions in an hour, the bix is a real time saver.
Posted By: PalmettoNetworks Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 06/27/08 03:22 AM
Hi...what I do with all our new tech is having them carry a pre-terminated 66-block with them in their vans...that way...if they get on-site and need to punch down a 25-pair cable...they have a great reference.

xoxoxoxo

Penny
Posted By: MooreTel Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 06/27/08 04:31 AM
Penny, if your techs can't remember a 25 pair colour code, I suggest getting new techs.... wink
Posted By: 93mdk93 Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 06/27/08 08:33 AM
that's probably the first order of business when we hire a new tech: get that colour code hammered into his head! it's not that hard to remember five sets of five.. although i noticed one of 'em had "WRBYV" written in sharpie on his tool bag so he can glance at it if he's unsure of the order.

i guess we all have foggy-head days now and again.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 06/27/08 09:50 AM
Dave, Penny said 'NEW' techs. We all started somewhere, and I for 1 screwed up the 26-50 on a 30 button 1A2 after I had been doin' it for 6 years! Talk about weird, I looked at that block a dozen times before I realized I had layed it down EXACTLY AND PERFECTLY UPSIDE DOWN! Sl/Vi at the top at and Wh/Bl at the bottom. And since there were only 5 phones on the system (Answering Service), at least I narrowed the problem down to the right phone in about ten minutes. And was smart enough to swap phones and determine it was wiring, not the phone, in the next 5 minutes. John C. (Not Garand)
Posted By: dagwoodsystems Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 06/27/08 10:14 AM
Why Run Backwards, You'll Vomit!
Posted By: 93mdk93 Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 06/27/08 01:17 PM
lol why do i have a funny feeling i'll never forget that.
Posted By: WRichey Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 06/27/08 04:48 PM
In Texas it's Why Run Backwards, You Varmint!
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 06/27/08 05:20 PM
And for the rings, "Bell Operators Give Better Service."
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 06/27/08 08:01 PM
Somehow I have managed to remember the color code...even though I don't use it every day, it's one of those things that sticks with me.
Posted By: KLD Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 06/27/08 08:23 PM
....just use BIX blocks. No problem, right Canucks??!! :thumb:
Posted By: Avalon Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 06/28/08 05:22 AM
USE KRONE BLOCKS LIKE THE REST OF THE WORLD DOES.
Posted By: WRichey Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 06/28/08 05:43 AM
Wow yelling and a topic change. It's amazing I can still hear and understand this thread. (sarcasm)
Posted By: KLD Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 06/28/08 05:57 AM
What is amazing is that this has been going for a month.

( No Sarcasm )
Posted By: Silversam Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 06/28/08 07:10 AM
I think we should go back to solder terminals. Or at least wire wrap.

Those were manly connections.

Sam
Posted By: Jim Baldwin Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 06/28/08 03:30 PM
Yeah amen to the solder blocks and 30d and 31d blocks; lots of money to be made terminating those.(time)
Posted By: Paul Coxwell Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 07/01/08 01:13 PM
Originally posted by WRichey:
In Texas it's Why Run Backwards, You Varmint!
We had another completely different mnemonic for that one. Probably considered most "un-PC" these days though.

Funnily enough, I never had any trouble memorizing cable codes, resistor color codes, or anything else along those lines, and I didn't learn many of the memory aids until after I already knew the sequences off by heart.

Originally posted by Silversam:
I think we should go back to solder terminals. Or at least wire wrap.
I still have an old GPO wirewrap tool somewhere. 25 years ago in BT wiring an offcut of anything from 25 to 100-pair cable to solder-tag MDF blocks on a mock-up frame was still standard apprentice fare. And properly lacing everything down the side of the frame too.
Posted By: 93mdk93 Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 07/09/08 08:06 PM
I just had to buy a wirewrap tool today because I'm installing a Bogen intercom system on Monday which will include about 200 wirewrap terminals... I looked everywhere for mine but couldn't find it - thank goodness we've got an old-school privately owned Radio Shack nearby, where I found one in stock for $6.99. It's not fancy, but it'll do..
Posted By: Astrotel Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 07/17/08 01:20 PM
Boys On Girls Bring Sex is the one I remembered
Posted By: Jim Baldwin Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 07/17/08 03:17 PM
i still have my wire wrap gun and 2 different stripers.
Posted By: StillThePhoneGuy Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 07/28/08 01:04 PM
As someone who is primarily a 'network guy' (I only play Phone Guy on alternate Tuesdays and Thursdays) I'd like to hope I never get someone who read that PDF in touching my network. A router is not a switch! Neither a router or a switch is a hub!
Posted By: Kumba Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 07/28/08 08:26 PM
I don't think I would care what terminology someone called something as long as it was correct and worked. They can tell me they used purple elephants to cross connect the sneaky-weasel with the widget and I wouldn't care if it was correct.

My problem is when they say it AND do it wrong. Granted, wrong terminology is usually a sign of wrong practices.
Posted By: hbiss Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 07/28/08 09:31 PM
As many of us know that manual was written by a sparkie to provide basic training to other sparkies. Despite some errors (among then the description of a switch, hub and router) I think it's a pretty good reference for beginners and those who need a basic understanding to be more competent in their work.

It never was meant to be a technical manual for those in the telecom industry or network technicians however CGs and IT "professionals" might do well to study it as telecom, wiring skills and especially neatness are not their strong points.

-Hal
Posted By: dagwoodsystems Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 07/28/08 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Kumba:

They can tell me they used purple elephants to cross connect the sneaky-weasel with the widget
Wow. What about "tangerine trees and marmalade skies...a girl with kaleidoscope eyes"? Please send a gram to the physical address advertised at www.dagwoodsystems.com. I'll pay you later.

--Tim "cellophane flowers" Alberstein
Posted By: Kumba Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 07/28/08 10:53 PM
Sorry, I only deal in bulk. smile
Posted By: dagwoodsystems Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 07/29/08 08:06 PM
You are too cool for school, James! smile
Posted By: Jim Baldwin Re: 66 block wiring strategies - 07/29/08 08:14 PM
When I worked for a friend of mine we were adding a new line to a system. The verizon installer person( notice I did not say female) told me it had put our line on the PURPLE GRAY lucky for me I remembered the crayon colors.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help