atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: ATeamM Mapping out a phone system - 05/29/07 08:53 AM
We are recently doing some remodeling at the college I work at and are having to move offices. The old phone guy that worked here pretty well kept everything to himself and took all of his wiring diagrams with him when he left. Since we are gonna have to move some phones anyway we figured it would be a good time to start mapping the phone system out. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to make an easy to follow diagram or possibly know of a templet that I could use for mapping out the system?
Posted By: justbill Re: Mapping out a phone system - 05/29/07 08:57 AM
No map needed, just label jacks and blocks. There are many ways to do this, pick one that works for you. Best bet is to get someone in who knows what they are doing.
Posted By: Bolts Upright Re: Mapping out a phone system - 05/29/07 11:52 AM
I use (for 20 years now) a blue print and write in, with a pencil, the users name, extension/port, and cable number. Voice and data cables. I'm assuming that both ends of the cables are marked properly. If not, break out the toner and go to work.
Posted By: ATeamM Re: Mapping out a phone system - 05/29/07 12:28 PM
Ya as far as I know they are mostly correct but I know of a few people they have moved so I'm afraid I'm gonna have to tone them all out to make sure.
Posted By: Gene Re: Mapping out a phone system - 05/29/07 06:56 PM
A cut sheet is also handy.If properly maintained
Posted By: justbill Re: Mapping out a phone system - 05/29/07 08:02 PM
I can see as a system admin where you might want a floor plan as to who sits where, all the admin really needs is who's at what extension. But as an installer all you need is properly labeled jacks and blocks. Ext 12 is at jack 8 and moves to jack 10 simple jumper change. All I care about is what jack is assigned to which station, not who sits where. On a large rearrangement I can see where you'd want a cut sheet. I've been in some pretty big locations and it's still a few moves at a time. If you want a blue print in your equipment room as to where each numbered jack is and it makes your life easier, go for it. Only time I've needed a blue print or drawing is on the initial install so I know where they want the phone and network jacks. Proper labeling will tell you what floor, wing or whatever. I can see on large systems where a system planning sheet would make is easy to trouble shoot, location, port, extension and cable pair. We did this on a large multi building system, just like a Central office assignment sheet.
Posted By: jacktel Re: Mapping out a phone system - 05/30/07 05:57 AM
When we take on a new client with a large system, I like to get current extension list from operator and then in programing match ext. numbers to ports on system.Then I compare port numbers at MDF with jack numbers marked at desks or wall.Just spot checks in various locations to see how well jacks are labeled.With large campus,How well IDF closets are marked. Some times on old buildings this can be speeded up by talking to maint. staff people who have worked there long term,and know about hidden terminals in ceilings or behind desks etc.
Posted By: ATeamM Re: Mapping out a phone system - 05/30/07 02:04 PM
I should of specified that I do work as one of the system admin's, I don't do initial installs and that I am looking for a way to make trouble shooting easier and keep an up to date record. Sorry bout that Bill
Posted By: 5Etek-mike Re: Mapping out a phone system - 05/30/07 04:15 PM
It's great that you're working to create and maintain an accurate database identifying exactly what your organization has, and how it is installed. I lean towards maintaining an easy to follow cutsheet, a basic table identifying the jack #s, location, instrument type and extension #, etc,.

1. What happened with your 'old phone guy?' IMHO, it doesn't hurt to attempt to contact him, and request a copy of your organization's telephone architectural records. His information would provide an excellent starting point. He may even be able to provide an onsite survey visit, to confirm or update the original records, and provide them to you.
2. Have you been tasked with relocating the office lines and instruments by yourself, or are you compiling your organization's telephone architectural information for an installer?
3. How many offices are being relocated? How many lines/instruments are actually being moved? What size college is this? What type/size telephone system?
Posted By: ATeamM Re: Mapping out a phone system - 06/06/07 07:21 AM
1. They tell me the old phone guy is very touchy about the network here. They asked him to write down some how to's and get a lay out of the place while he was here and he was very protective of him system.

2. Yes I got to move all of the lines by myself. It was an easy but time consoming job. The 66 Block with there connections is right under there office which is located in a dropped ceiling in the room under them which happened to be open for them to move into. 3 people had to be in an office area a few rooms down but it was an easy run.

and thanks for the suggestions
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: Mapping out a phone system - 06/06/07 07:21 PM
So who owns the system? Not the "old phone guy". 66 Blocks located in drop ceilings does not bode well for a quality installation.

You should start mapping out your campus, the locations of all the phone rooms, sub-terminals, etc. Figure out which cable connects what to where, and enlist the help of any maintenance personell that have been around for a long time.

Don't let this old phone guy snow you!
Posted By: Mike Andruschak Re: Mapping out a phone system - 06/12/07 05:01 AM
THIS is the map I have printed out to 24" x 16" (approx) and posted in the second floor terminal room of the Torrance Call Center.

It is nice to be able to trace a phone or LAN connection to a cable in the terminal room and then walk straight to the associated desk.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help