atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: aweaver DX-120 fax detection - 01/04/07 04:09 PM
We are having a problem with a DX120 installation set up for fax detection. I'm curious if anyone else has run into this problem. Here's what happens.
1) a fax comes in on line 4
2) DX-120 answers the call
3) DX-120 detects CNG tone and transfers to ext 149
4) Fax rings and answers
5) Fax receives a busy signal and call terminates

Here's the testing we've done.
1) Connect fax directly to CO--works fine
2) send fax from IST port 150 to 149--works fine
3) send fax from IST port 150 to 151 which in turn was looped to line 4--works fine
4) padded co line with from 34 millamp to 18 milliamp--no go

Comdial tech suppport is working on this but hasn't provided any answer yet.
Posted By: Mark K. Re: DX-120 fax detection - 01/04/07 05:46 PM
I have 3 120's in but haven't used fax detection yet. I have a new 120 in the shop I could test it on if you haven't already tried another system, but it might be late tomorrow before I get to it.

At what point does it go busy? Does it even try to ring 149?
I'd like to know how this ends.
Mark
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: DX-120 fax detection - 01/04/07 06:03 PM
We've had hit-and-miss luck with the fax detection on the DX-80, so I try to steer people away from using it. The problems we've had have never been what you're describing, though.

I'm curious whether you have a DX80 you could temporarily put in place of the 120, to test the same setup on, just to isolate it to the 120 for sure.
Posted By: aweaver Re: DX-120 fax detection - 01/05/07 05:12 AM
We already changed the system out with a another DX-120--same results. Yes, 149 does ring so fax detection is working fine.
We've never had trouble with the DX-80 fax detection that I know of accept for when callers send a fax manually. Of course there is no CNG tone to be dedected when you send a fax and wait for the far end to answer before hitting start on the sending machine.
I could put a DX-80 in place but haven't done so since I don't want that to be the solution.
Posted By: Mark K. Re: DX-120 fax detection - 01/05/07 05:58 AM
so it rings 149 and passes a busy instead of the CNG, I'm going to need to get my system set up here so I can see it too. Since the problem occurs during the transfer after detection, try answering a fax call and manual transfer to 149.
Mark
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: DX-120 fax detection - 01/05/07 06:04 AM
I have three DX-80s that I have the fax Detection turned on---including here at the office---all with good results so far. However, we had a business try to fax us something one day---and it just would not go through---same scenario as yours. We tested from other places and it worked fine. I tried to find out what it was at that one location that was different than everyone else's --but I couldn't find out. I had thought that they were sending in manual mode and then pushing "start" when they heard the CNG tones--but they insist they weren't. I don't know that for sure, though. Tell us what happens.
Posted By: jwooten Re: DX-120 fax detection - 01/05/07 06:32 AM
Just installed 2 120 systems at years end. Only one was set for fax detection. During setup and training all worked perfect. Several days after install, customer calls and says they haven't been getting faxes. The only time I've had this problem is with DSL equipped lines. I did not spend much time trying to "fix" this so detection was turned off and the fax extension was set to direct ring. Works fine in this mode.
Posted By: aweaver Re: DX-120 fax detection - 01/05/07 07:52 AM
Mark. Manually answering the call and transfer to 149 works fine.
Jwooten. I did not think of the fact that DSL could be an issue. I need to check that out.
Posted By: Mark K. Re: DX-120 fax detection - 01/12/07 08:19 AM
Any new news on this ?
Mark
Posted By: aweaver Re: DX-120 fax detection - 01/12/07 08:22 AM
Issue is still not resolved. I need to have some more testing done on our test bench.
Posted By: aweaver Re: DX-120 fax detection - 01/12/07 11:10 AM
Our testing has been completed today and the result is this. From what we can tell, fax detection on a DX120 feature set 17 does not work! Comdial engineering has been notified.
We are now waiting on fix. Does anyone know if the DX120 upgrades will be done by changing out microchips, or do they have flash memory that can be reflashed?
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: DX-120 fax detection - 01/12/07 11:27 AM
Flash memory upgrades. I hate fax detection.
Posted By: Mark K. Re: DX-120 fax detection - 01/12/07 01:24 PM
Me too. This is what makes people not buy new release products. How could this be missed in beta testing?
Mark
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: DX-120 fax detection - 01/12/07 10:11 PM
Wait a minute. Did I read that correctly? Are upgrades going to be via flash upgrade instead of changing out chips?

I haven't read thru the documentation yet, so if it specifies in there, that's why I haven't seen it.
Posted By: Mark K. Re: DX-120 fax detection - 01/13/07 06:29 AM
I didn't see it anywhere in the documentation I've read. Which do you prefer and why? I've found both to be pretty easy. (after I mashed a few chips doing it without my glasses)
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: DX-120 fax detection - 01/13/07 09:23 AM
Well, I would prefer flashing software, so you don't have to get chips from Comdial.

What do you mean you've found both to be pretty easy? You must be referring to something other than the DX80 and DX120, unless I'm missing something.
Posted By: Mark K. Re: DX-120 fax detection - 01/13/07 10:18 AM
no I mean some systems use a flash and it's easy and changing chips is no problem either. Your right the flash would be better, no having to order chips. But don't they make you buy like a 5 flash licence or something?
Mark
Posted By: jwooten Re: DX-120 fax detection - 01/13/07 12:45 PM
Details for upgrading, when available, are contained at the end of the latest srn dx-120 release 17.
Posted By: Mr. O Re: DX-120 fax detection - 01/29/07 07:25 AM
We are 4/4 on bad units with fax detection. It works just fine w/ an external fax switch, even a DX-80 works. Feel like this is a soap opera, and I don't like soaps.
Posted By: Mr. O Re: DX-120 fax detection - 02/05/07 02:08 PM
There is new firmware out I17 with new PC-DBA too. They are available on the website. This update resolved all of our issues with the fax detection. Takes about 1/2 hr to load is the only drawback I can see to it. Good Luck All!!!
Posted By: Mark K. Re: DX-120 fax detection - 02/05/07 02:28 PM
007, I'm not finding the new release on the CCC.
The only 120 issued is the original 17 release date 11/06. Where are you finding it?
Mark
Posted By: aweaver Re: DX-120 fax detection - 02/05/07 06:46 PM
If it was on the CCC, it's not now. Can you email the software and the PCDBA?
Posted By: aweaver Re: DX-120 fax detection - 02/28/07 07:12 AM
I17 software is available and fax detection works great. The software also allows for the Automatic daylight savings time to be customized with a beginning/end time.
I don't think the software is on CCC yet though.
Posted By: Mark K. Re: DX-120 fax detection - 02/28/07 10:17 AM
Anthony, Did you get it from Comdial?
Posted By: aweaver Re: DX-120 fax detection - 02/28/07 10:41 AM
Yes. Obtained it from tech support.
Posted By: jwooten Re: DX-120 fax detection - 02/28/07 11:15 AM
I was just on the ccc downloading software for a dxp upgrade and did not see it there, yet!
Posted By: Mark K. Re: DX-120 fax detection - 02/28/07 12:00 PM
Anthony - Thanks I'll give them a call.
Posted By: Mark K. Re: DX-120 fax detection - 02/28/07 02:05 PM
It's not on CCC because it is in field trial stage.
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: DX-120 fax detection - 02/28/07 03:19 PM
Man. It seems pretty late in the game, as far as the DST change goes, for this to still be in field trial stages.
Posted By: hacky Re: DX-120 fax detection - 02/28/07 09:43 PM
Fax detection is annoying...for C.O. lines that are critical for both voice and fax, I have found that MultiLink's TheStick works very well. Only drawback with that is CID...you have to program TheStick for at least 1 ring to pass the CID information on the DX-80...which in turn holds off on "ringing" the phones until the KSU itself downloads the CID info. This can add up to a significant delay to when the phones actually start ringing on a voice call. To the distant party it has already been about three rings and one for you. But as long as somebody answers at your end, its survivable. Another annoying thing about Fax Detection...users faxing with their handset off-hook (obviously no CNG tone sent then), fooling any fax router into thinking its a voice call! I wish no faxes had handsets.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help