atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: jsaad WiFi solution for Hotel - 09/14/04 10:14 AM
I am looking to implement a WiFi solution for a hotel where the guests will use the wireless internet access. I'm sure I could go buy a Linksys access point, but what would be a good hospitality solution.
Posted By: Z-man Re: WiFi solution for Hotel - 09/14/04 11:06 PM
There are several factors to consider here. Size is the big concern. You will need wireless coverage throughout the hotel, so you will need to design your access points accordingly. make sure you have AP's and not routers. I have a college campus that runs Cisco AP's for all their students. Albeit, pricey, it is dependable, which is probably the most important thing to a customer.
Posted By: BillyBob Re: WiFi solution for Hotel - 09/15/04 07:28 AM
Try GoldenTree - they offer complete packages for the hospitality industry. Their web site is: www.goldentreecom.com
Their prices are very reasonable and include a substantial profit margin for you. If you want to talk to someone at GoldenTree, contact:
Tom Skibinski
Golden Tree Communications, Inc.
Ph: (949) 470-1891 x 231
Fx: (949) 470-0971
[email protected]
Posted By: Milestone Re: WiFi solution for Hotel - 12/11/04 04:47 PM
Sonic Wall has also released some very clean AP's and you can also set up guest accounts where the end user has to log in to gain access. there is also another solution where you actually "paint" the side of a building, a tad pricey but extremely effective, if you are interested drop me an email and I will provide you with the company info.

------------------
One stop Voice and Data Solutions VoIP
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: WiFi solution for Hotel - 12/11/04 05:16 PM
I was just on the website www.boingo.com. It is a network of WiFi locations. I found this when I was looking on the Linksys website at the WRV54G. That site was https://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=565.

For a commercial application, you may want to go with something higher-end, as mentioned by the others, but this Boingo site may also provide you with some other ideas.

I have also seen some hotspot-type equipment at www.us.zyxel.com.
Posted By: ttech Re: WiFi solution for Hotel - 12/11/04 09:09 PM
You can contact cris at www.designandsecurity.com we put in a solution at the best western in Phila and gettysburg and it worked out very well.

Don
Posted By: ttech Re: WiFi solution for Hotel - 12/11/04 09:35 PM
The solution WE did included VDSL to the rooms and Internet Subscriber Gateways that would allow users with any IP settings to access the internet. It would also not allow computers to "see each other" for customer security, And the first time you use the internet the hotel's website comes up.
Posted By: OffTheDeepEnd.com Re: WiFi solution for Hotel - 12/15/04 04:25 PM
I would have to agree with ttech, as security is an issue when dealing with a wireless network. All the simple access points and gateways provide to much of a security risk when there are multiple computers. If you are using wireless in the hotel, spend the money and buy yopurself some quality cisco equipment.
Posted By: brokeda Re: WiFi solution for Hotel - 07/22/05 09:17 PM
hav ea cust who wants to put wifi in apt buildings and resell or use as freebies sometimes. What would be the limitations to end user? Would this work??
Posted By: John-BNSystems Re: WiFi solution for Hotel - 08/23/05 05:33 AM
Colubris Networks makes an absolute BEAST as far as wireless access is concerned. Great range, awesome security settings, and they're specifically MADE for hotel use. Check it out.
Posted By: engs Re: WiFi solution for Hotel - 08/25/05 03:35 PM
Has anyone done a WiFi install using Nomadix as the controller and RoomMaster as the PMS?
Posted By: TDS Re: WiFi solution for Hotel - 08/25/05 05:31 PM
nomadix basic 50 users
$ 400+ to add more
$ 400+ to add pms
look at at zyel vsg 1200

i have installed both but not with pms
hotels offer here free access. the gui interface on the zyxel can be accessed through ie brouwser so customer can get reports on use .etc
Posted By: engs Re: WiFi solution for Hotel - 08/25/05 09:39 PM
I am having problems with the integration. Would really appreciate help, if anyone has dealt with Nomadix and any type of PMS integration before.

[This message has been edited by engs (edited August 25, 2005).]
Posted By: John-BNSystems Re: WiFi solution for Hotel - 08/26/05 04:58 AM
The large Colubris AP is browser-based as well. It makes config a snap.
Posted By: jsaad Re: WiFi solution for Hotel - 08/29/05 08:18 PM
so just to keep this topic alive, the customer went and got the whole setup from the CableTV company. What did they get?: a bunch of linksys/cisco 24 port switches, some Belden Pre-N router's with wireless capability (which can be setup as access points only) and they have like 5 cable modems. I don't see any routers. And that's it from what I can tell! Any guest who plugs in their computer or uses the wireless get's assigned a public IP! I don't understand why they are being given public IP addresses. It's a little strange in my opinion.

If I were to take this route and got some APs and switches together and did a NAT setup with DHCP from the router, would it work ( I say yes) but I am concerned about guest's using SMTP mail lack of compatibility. Am I on the right track.
Posted By: howe Re: WiFi solution for Hotel - 09/04/05 09:01 AM
Hi,

My company just got a contract from china to wire up 20K++ buildings and more in future can anyone here suggest a good wifi infrastruture solution company who can handle this massive project.

currently we are working with an australian company, but we would like to keep our options open. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

You can also email me at [email protected]

Cheers
Howe
Posted By: jsaad Re: WiFi solution for Hotel - 12/13/05 06:44 AM
I have another Hotel client who wants to implement hi-speed wireless. At a previous hotel he claims they had an access point in the drop ceiling and the antenna was a piece of some type of coaxial cable that connected to the antenna connector and the cable ran the entire length of the hallway. They claimed this worked really well.

We don't who made it or what type of cable. Any ideas how this could be implemented?
Posted By: FiberTech Re: WiFi solution for Hotel - 12/13/05 07:04 AM
I have installed that type of cable, it did indeed look like coax the catch was if you looked real close you would see small cuts through the shield every few inches that exposed the core, can'nt remember the name of the equipment but worked well
Posted By: telcomtex Re: WiFi solution for Hotel - 12/13/05 08:06 PM
I know in the past we have installed cable for cellular sites designed to deliberately bleed signal. It was radiax cable.
Posted By: PhoneSol Re: WiFi solution for Hotel - 02/02/06 08:14 AM
It's a "leaky coax" installation. You hook up the cable that purposely leaks RF signal (split shield as mentioned) to a particular area in a building. It's used a lot in emergency situations and stairwells for fire and rescue workers so cell phones or 800Mhz radios work in times of need. It can be implemented for almost any RF application.

Pretty interesting concept actually.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help