atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: newtecky NEC DSX40 phone display ploblems - 10/18/14 07:46 PM
I am helping out someone that bought an NEC DSX 40 system on eBay. The pachage came with several DSX 22B phones on one large display 34B Super siplay phone.

All the 22 button phone have very poor display, like it is missing lines. Display ranges from extremely difficult to read to impossible. The 34 Button phone display is perfect.

The version is 2.11 I initialized the system. The system shows the correct phone type in program 2101-01

I already plugged a phone directtly into the cabinet, same results.

It is just odd that all the phones have the same issue, which makes me think that there is something in the main cabinet that is at fault.

Is this a common issue? Are all this phones bad, or is there something else wrong? Is it fixable or does the system need to be returned? Sell says it was pulled from a working office.
Posted By: RonP Re: NEC DSX40 phone display ploblems - 10/18/14 09:23 PM
Buyer beware on Fleabay. A few years ago,there was an issue with bad displays. NEC was repairing them for a couple years free of charge. This has since ended. I think I saw somewhere on this site where guys were able to purchase replacement displays from NEC although I have not done this myself.
Posted By: newtecky Re: NEC DSX40 phone display ploblems - 10/18/14 09:57 PM
Thanks, so there was past issues with bad displays on these phones? Good to know. He may get another phone from someone else if it is the phone, not the DSX system at fault. The rest of the system seems to work, including the voicemail.
Posted By: skip555 Re: NEC DSX40 phone display ploblems - 10/18/14 10:14 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with the problem but I would upgrade the software .

I would buy one known good phone plug it in and go from there

there was a guy posting here awhile back who said they fix the display for something like 12 do a search and see if you can find the info
Posted By: newtecky Re: NEC DSX40 phone display ploblems - 10/18/14 10:40 PM
I did not have a Compact Flash card on me or I would have upgraded it today. I will talk to him about doing an upgrade as the next step. I thought the chance of an upgrade fixing this issue would be small (besides the admin software I had with me does not work on that system)

I do know someone else with a DSX 40. I am thinking maybe I could borrow a phone from them to test it.

Thanks. I will look for someone that can fix the displays as well.
Posted By: skip555 Re: NEC DSX40 phone display ploblems - 10/18/14 10:52 PM
here's the guy who claims he can fix them for 12 I don't know if he can Im just passing the link along

https://sundance-communications.com...72008/NEC_DSX_LCD_replacement#Post572008
Posted By: 94astro Re: NEC DSX40 phone display ploblems - 10/19/14 02:35 AM
Have you tried adjusting the contrast? When I walk into a DSX system, there are usually a few with very faint displays. This is because the contrast can be adjusted by just pressing the up and down volume arrows while the phone is idle. So customers do it on accident.
Posted By: newtecky Re: NEC DSX40 phone display ploblems - 10/19/14 02:41 AM
Yep, I tried the contrast. It did not help. There were many missing lines in the display which made it very hard to read. When the display was darker, you could really see the missing lines.
Posted By: brokeda Re: NEC DSX40 phone display ploblems - 10/19/14 03:09 AM
the phones need repair. Thats it.
Posted By: newtecky Re: NEC DSX40 phone display ploblems - 10/19/14 05:26 AM
Originally Posted by brokeda
the phones need repair. Thats it.

Thanks. That was my feeling, but with 6 bad phones, I was suspecting something else was going on with the system.

Apparently it was a good deal, but in the end it wasn't as good as it seemed.
Posted By: skip555 Re: NEC DSX40 phone display ploblems - 10/19/14 09:08 AM
I would go back to the seller and ask for a partial refund to cover the cost of repair. If the seller won't cooperate eBay and PayPal both offer buyer protection programs
Posted By: newtecky Re: NEC DSX40 phone display ploblems - 10/19/14 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by skip555
I would go back to the seller and ask for a partial refund to cover the cost of repair. If the seller won't cooperate eBay and PayPal both offer buyer protection programs

Yes, probably a good idea. I know that he mentioned a 30 day ebay protection, and the user had 100% rating. I am sure if the seller wants to keep that 100% hopefully he will make the buyer happy.

I am hoping he does not want to return, since I already connected the system to his phone lines for him.
Posted By: newtecky Re: NEC DSX40 phone display ploblems - 10/19/14 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by skip555
here's the guy who claims he can fix them for 12 I don't know if he can Im just passing the link along

https://sundance-communications.com...72008/NEC_DSX_LCD_replacement#Post572008

I sent him a PM. Thanks.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help