atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Revdoo NEC Systems Comparison - 04/26/07 11:52 AM
Been searching and reading many of the informative posts on this site. We are shopping for a phone system, getting quotes from several local vendors (40 person insurance office) all close in price, any pros-cons anyone can point out to a pc tech that has never had a phone system to admin before? Currently we are on a Centrex managed at the telco with no equipment onsite. NEC ASPIRE, NEC DSX-160 And NEC Elite IPKII are systems we have quotes on so far. Mostly looking for ease of use/administration. Thanks!
Posted By: Keighlar Re: NEC Systems Comparison - 04/26/07 12:24 PM
What are your lists of "Must Have" and "Hoped For" features? Overall NEC is easy to use and administer as far as phone systems go.
Posted By: skip555 Re: NEC Systems Comparison - 04/26/07 12:40 PM
The vendor is the most important ingredient, someone knowledge on the system they are installing and in telephony in general

somebody you feel you can work with who is interested in more than the the check at cut over
Posted By: smoom Re: NEC Systems Comparison - 04/26/07 12:56 PM
As Skipp555 stated look at the vendor, most every switch on the market does the same thing anymore. There are minimal feature differences between the big switches. Finding a vendor that is capable of making features work and being there for you 6 months or 5 years later is the real issue. All 3 switches you stated above are basically are similiar as far as feature that most customers use. The difference is that comany's selling the DSX line can be "certified by going to www.NECDSX.com and taking a test." Aspire and IPK dealers have to send there techs to school to learn the products. Just do your homework on the vendor and make sure the vendor you choose sells the features that you want in your phone system.
Posted By: Revdoo Re: NEC Systems Comparison - 04/26/07 01:47 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. We don't need any special features, just the basics at this point so if there is no huge difference between the capabilities of these systems as suggested we will probably base on vendor. They all gave references to that will be our next step. thanks again.
Posted By: dans Re: NEC Systems Comparison - 04/26/07 03:23 PM
Please note:

Of the the 3 system, only the IPK II and Aspire are similar, they share the same software, this sofware is powerful(a lot to it). DSX is the low end, but a very good low end system.
Posted By: DSX Deus Re: NEC Systems Comparison - 04/26/07 07:10 PM
If you are looking for ease of use and do not need VoIP or multiple system networking, the DSX-160 is your best choice. It was just released last summer and has the latest technology. For example, the IntraMail on DSX is built in (only a CF card is required) and has many more features (with more on the way) than the Aspire IntraMail and IPK-II InMail. The phones and user interface are the best NEC has to offer.

Don't let comments about training and certification confuse you. The fact that a vendor can easily learn to install the product is a testament to the software design and shouldn't be considered a negative. (The DSX mantra is "Sophistication Simplified".) Just make sure your vendor has a good reputation.

Please let us know what you end up purchasing and what influenced your decision.
Posted By: doghart Re: NEC Systems Comparison - 04/26/07 08:02 PM
I agree that the vendor choice will greatly affect if you 'like' or 'dislike' the phone system you choose.

Check the BBB for complaints. Ask for customer references of recent installs of the same or similar system. Make sure they have an adequate training program to show you how to use all the features.

My personal recommendation would be for an IPKII with an Elitemail voicemail. I would NOT recommend the INMAIL voicemail.

D
Posted By: skip555 Re: NEC Systems Comparison - 04/26/07 09:25 PM
even better ask everyone you know , particularly like sized business .

nothing like personal experience of who to talk to and who to steer clear off
Posted By: BillyBob Re: NEC Systems Comparison - 04/27/07 03:54 PM
I must also add a big "Amen" to the suggestions about vendor choice. However, don't sell DSX Deus short - he is the General Manager of R&D at NEC for the DS, DSX and Aspire, so he knows the products quite well.
I have been selling/installing the DSX since it was released and I am more impressed with each install. My customers absolutely LOVE the system.

Bill
Posted By: walterv Re: NEC Systems Comparison - 04/27/07 04:57 PM
Originally posted by dans:
Please note:

Of the the 3 system, only the IPK II and Aspire are similar, they share the same software, this sofware is powerful(a lot to it). DSX is the low end, but a very good low end system.
NOT TRUE, IT IS NOT LOW END AND WILL OFFER YOU AS MUCH AS THE ASPIRE OR THE IPK. IF YOU WANT VOIP, THEN LOOK AT THE ASPIRE AND IPK.

THE DSX IS BETTER PRICED FOR THE AVERAGE USER AND HAS ALL THE FEATURES THE AVERAGE USER WOULD WANT......

Walter
Posted By: dans Re: NEC Systems Comparison - 04/27/07 07:47 PM
I am not putting down the DSX, it is a great system, but to compare it to the IPK II and the Aspire is comparing apples to oranges.
Posted By: walterv Re: NEC Systems Comparison - 04/27/07 08:56 PM
But as the poster said "We don't need any special features, just the basics at this point"

This is where the DSX shines

Walter
Posted By: walterv Re: NEC Systems Comparison - 04/27/07 08:57 PM
If they want VOIP,then the should look at ESI
Posted By: dans Re: NEC Systems Comparison - 04/28/07 10:20 PM
If they want VOIP the Aspire and IPK II can do it with no problem.
Posted By: Revdoo Re: NEC Systems Comparison - 04/30/07 10:12 AM
Thanks again everyone for the comments. We are still sorting out the bids and checking references.
Posted By: ttech Re: NEC Systems Comparison - 04/30/07 04:56 PM
I'm Glad the members here could help steer you in the right direction. You will find that Vendor choice will be the key.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help