atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Clint R Radio Static Caused by Phone System - 07/09/11 04:07 AM
Our phone service is with Time Warner Cable and all phones in the house cause static on all radios. The static occurs while a phone is in use, stops when we hang up, and then reoccurs for about a second after a short pause. We have different brands of cordless phone and several radios. A Time Warner technician tried his handset and it also caused static on all radios. I've asked the Time Warner customer service department as well as 2 or 3 of their technicians at my house and no one knows how to fix the problem. Any ideas?
Posted By: Derrick Re: Radio Static Caused by Phone System - 07/09/11 09:26 AM
Are your phones cordless?
Bet the answer is yes, because of the 1 second burst a short time after the phone is 'hung-up', as the base unit goes off-hook to check for MW. smile

Try improving the Coax shield ground. Or possibly the utility ground in general. Maybe Ed or Hal will step in here.
Posted By: Clint R Re: Radio Static Caused by Phone System - 07/09/11 01:07 PM
Most of our handsets are cordless but the radio static also occurs using a standard hardwired handset.
Posted By: dexman Re: Radio Static Caused by Phone System - 07/09/11 02:23 PM
Does the corded telephone require AC power? If so, does a telephone that runs off of telephone line power only (such as a 2500) create the same problem?
Posted By: Clint R Re: Radio Static Caused by Phone System - 07/09/11 07:24 PM
The corded phone doesn't require AC - it's only plugged into the phone jack.
Posted By: metelcom Re: Radio Static Caused by Phone System - 07/09/11 08:51 PM
Has TW tried a new converter box and replace the incoming cable?
Posted By: Clint R Re: Radio Static Caused by Phone System - 07/10/11 11:29 AM
TW replaced the cable modem and changed all R59 cable inside the house to R6 cable. But, there is one section of R6 cable inside the wall. The line from the street to the house hasn't been changed. They claim that their testing shows no problems with the signal.
Posted By: Derrick Re: Radio Static Caused by Phone System - 07/10/11 02:12 PM
Are you using a wireless router?
Posted By: Clint R Re: Radio Static Caused by Phone System - 07/10/11 05:56 PM
I'm using a wireless router but both computers are connected to it with ethernet cables.
Posted By: tel the sky Re: Radio Static Caused by Phone System - 08/26/11 04:38 PM
Its definitely a ground problem. Make sure your AC voltage in the house is grounded properly. Or, try a different outlet for plugging in your cable modem.
Make sure the entrance cable is grounded properly too. I've seen a lot of fake grounds. The grounding strap should attach to a water pipe that goes in the ground.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help