atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: phoneguy10 No support for STS/STSe?XTS - 05/02/13 08:10 PM
Received an email today from Vertical advising that they would no longer provide free support for the products shown above. They will however provide paid support at the rate of $60/half hour. There is nothing more to say about Vertical.
Posted By: Derrick Re: No support for STS/STSe?XTS - 05/02/13 09:43 PM
Well, now these forums certainly become more valuable don't they?
Posted By: MnDave Re: No support for STS/STSe?XTS - 05/03/13 02:34 AM
Just this week, I was doing an XTS upgrade and my brain went blank. Ricardo gave me the answer in like, 2 seconds! It was quicker than saying "Duh!" We talked for maybe 2 minutes. a $4 bill wouldn't be bad but I suppose there will be a minimum? Sucks

Derrick, I think you finally have a way to retire and live in your RV. All you need is your smart phone for overhead and one of those little credit card adapters! dbanana
Posted By: adteldon Re: No support for STS/STSe?XTS - 05/03/13 12:08 PM
You would think they would have to give free tech support atleast until the warranty's expire. I'm thinking they may have to re-think this one. If they go through with it, this site will start blowing up with questions for sure.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: No support for STS/STSe?XTS - 05/03/13 12:35 PM
It is shameful how they treat their most successful product lines like red headed stepchildren.
Posted By: Derrick Re: No support for STS/STSe?XTS - 05/03/13 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by EV607797
It is shameful how they treat their most successful product lines like red headed stepchildren.

Its all about economics...LG discontinued the XTS hardware platform worldwide due to its cost to produce. The SBX, MBX and its LG counterparts are cheaper to market because one box tries to fit all (not always so good in my opinion...like putting a size 10 foot in a size 9 shoe) but that is the concept. Vertical is now charging for XTS phone support in part to encourage dealers to move to the current lines sooner than later and they are far from the only tech company to charge for incidents. Intuit comes to mind.

What I don't like is Vertical not providing extensive (like the XTS) documentation for any current system thus making us search around in the dark for answers to questions about basic features that phone systems have had for years. I really don't like calling tech support to ask about station group overflow or other questions where I end up saying "the XTS can do this...but how does the ?BX handle this?"....only to be told "Well this isn't an XTS" like I didn't know that already. Explain to me what the ?BX will do in a PDF file with a decent complete index and I won't have to call tech support so much.....is that so unreasonable?

I have learned more about the SBX from reading IPLDk-60 documentation than from the SBX documentation itself. There is a caveat to that, not all functions operate the same or even exist in both systems due to the Vertical tweaks to the operating system.
Posted By: phoneguy10 Re: No support for STS/STSe?XTS - 05/03/13 02:45 PM
Have to say that without factory support for free, if we run into the need we will have to somehow charge the customer. Can't say too much on these message boards but, we sold a ton of xts/Sts/xtsc with most still in service. Really makes you consider who can count on.
Posted By: Derrick Re: No support for STS/STSe?XTS - 05/03/13 08:26 PM
We can still count on each other for the most part. I usually call tech support for the XTS just to verify what I believe is the cause of a problem and the solution to it.
Posted By: Deltron Re: No support for STS/STSe?XTS - 05/08/13 02:54 AM
Other than Ricardo just exactly who at Vertical knows even 10% of what most of us know about the STS/XTS?
Posted By: EV607797 Re: No support for STS/STSe?XTS - 05/08/13 03:02 AM
I thought that Patrick was still there. Granted, I haven't called there in years, in fact Dave Foster was the last person whom I reached (RIP, Dave).
Posted By: phoneguy10 Re: No support for STS/STSe?XTS - 05/08/13 08:00 PM
Patrick went in the last big round of layoffs. Pretty much Ricardo now for XTS but honestly he knows this thing inside out.
Posted By: 93mdk93 Re: No support for STS/STSe?XTS - 05/09/13 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by phoneguy10
Patrick went in the last big round of layoffs. Pretty much Ricardo now for XTS but honestly he knows this thing inside out.

They layed him off?! Wow... he was really good. A bit rude at times, but I can only imagine the stupid questions he must've heard every day.

Soooo.... What's a good non-V replacement for an XTS? smile
Posted By: Deltron Re: No support for STS/STSe?XTS - 05/09/13 01:11 PM
I'm trying to figure this out too. At the moment we're installing the NEC DSX system for small stuff but don't have a larger system replacement. Don't want to go VOIP yet.

The NEC SV8100 plays too much licensing server game BS plus it seems there's too many issues with it.

We'd like another solid TDM switch.
Posted By: justbill Re: No support for STS/STSe?XTS - 05/09/13 06:02 PM
Put this in the wrong topic before, you'd think I'd know better. bash

Check with Merritt, he swears by Transtel. I put in only one, but it's been solid, tech support was great.
Posted By: Deltron Re: No support for STS/STSe?XTS - 05/10/13 02:45 AM
Did they finally get a solid vmail system?
Posted By: EV607797 Re: No support for STS/STSe?XTS - 05/10/13 03:29 AM
Bill, how did this Vodavi thread shift to Transtel? Are you melting down? If so, may I join you?
Posted By: justbill Re: No support for STS/STSe?XTS - 05/10/13 01:23 PM
From 93mdk93:
Soooo.... What's a good non-V replacement for an XTS?

From Deltron;
I'm trying to figure this out too. At the moment we're installing the NEC DSX system for small stuff but don't have a larger system replacement. Don't want to go VOIP yet.

The NEC SV8100 plays too much licensing server game BS plus it seems there's too many issues with it.

We'd like another solid TDM switch.

To get details about the Transtel I'd suggest talking to Merritt (metelcom) he would know much more about it than I would. As Ed points out any further discussion of other systems should be in a new topic and category. Thanks for the direction Ed.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: No support for STS/STSe?XTS - 05/10/13 01:37 PM
Actually Bill, I did not go back and read through the entire thread, so your post makes perfect sense. I need to start paying better attention.
Posted By: MnDave Re: No support for STS/STSe?XTS - 05/10/13 02:02 PM
Maybe you're like me Ed, just too broke to always pay attention!
Posted By: Derrick Re: No support for STS/STSe?XTS - 05/10/13 04:08 PM
I am looking for suggestions of which clubs I should get to replace my Big Bertha Golds......wait a minute, I posted this in the wrong forum.
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: No support for STS/STSe?XTS - 05/11/13 02:19 AM
If you get a answer let me know.
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: No support for STS/STSe?XTS - 05/11/13 02:20 AM
I just won a Big Bertha, what are you saying?
Posted By: cswroe Re: No support for STS/STSe?XTS - 05/12/13 04:00 AM
We moved to NEC too for most of our stuff. DSX is a great fit Small/Med business that does not require system networking. It does not have all the individual station features like the STS/XTS but still a good fit. For our larger systems, we have started on the SL1100, it is a bit more feature rich and supports system networking. There is supposed to be an upgrade soon that will double the port count so it will be more in line with the MPB2. Until then we just network systems together like we used to do before the MPBE was released.

I agree on the SV8100. We were doing the Toshiba CTX thing for awhile and I had a difficult time with that licensing model and regretted going that route and will not go back.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help