atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: MnDave Another dead XTSc - 03/12/12 04:21 PM
Got my 2nd dead XTSc in two weeks mad mad
This time, I didn't have one for a backup. :confused:
But I got super lucky. :shrug: It costs $50 each time to ship it! puke
Posted By: STS E Re: Another dead XTSc - 03/12/12 05:35 PM
Seems like i heard it was a Cap in the power supply section. Did you give the CPU a look over and see anything obvious ?

So it is pretty well written if you have a "c" it will fail?

What life are you getting out of them 5 or 10 years?
Posted By: Derrick Re: Another dead XTSc - 03/12/12 06:17 PM
You will get about two to three years. I have had seven out of nine fail. It is a high percent failure rate until they are repaired the first time. I keep two spares in stock.
Posted By: MnDave Re: Another dead XTSc - 03/12/12 07:22 PM
Some have said that it is a cap. But I have closely examined some previously repaired ones with a magnifying work light and find no noticeable trace of any repair. My Cs have gone out in as few as 3 years and as long as 7 years. And 50 bucks just for shipping them to repair is disgusting.

Derrick, are you sure that they last longer after the repair? I think my first repair that was returned to service was about 3-4 years ago. FYI - If anyone buys one on Ebay, they are investing in a time bomb.

Triads and the standard XTS systems are built like a rock. What the heck happened with this &^$%$???
Posted By: tampasteve Re: Another dead XTSc - 03/13/12 03:55 AM
Yep, same experience here. About every one that was installed 4-7 years ago has blown. Most seem to last between 5-7 years....XTS - no problem though.

Steve
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: Another dead XTSc - 03/13/12 08:44 AM
Dave,

Just for grins and giggles, why don't take a sharpie and put a mark on every cap on the power supply? You should then be able to spot the one they replace, if that is what is happening.

Then you could tell the rest of us! :p
Posted By: Derrick Re: Another dead XTSc - 03/13/12 11:55 AM
It is the five volts that blows. Obviously they are changing something or they would not come back repaired (that is why I keep a record of the serial number).
Posted By: Ted Re: Another dead XTSc - 03/13/12 04:32 PM
$50.? Is there someting I'm missing? Is Vertical fixing these guys for free? I pay shipping plus, and yes I've had three go at about 5+ years.
Posted By: Derrick Re: Another dead XTSc - 03/13/12 06:17 PM
All of the failures I have had, took place inside the five year warranty for each box. I call Vertical and ask them to check the serial number. On one occasion I emailed a proof of purchase to them and they covered it as well.
Posted By: MnDave Re: Another dead XTSc - 03/14/12 10:15 AM
$50+ was what UPS charged me just to ship the 1st one to repair. I just got a call back today with the return charges. I'm told it is out of warranty, so besides the repair fee I'm also being socked another $37+ for their shipping it back to me. That means about $90 our of my pocket besides the repair fee. All total, it amounts to a few big bills. It's so very disgusting.

Now why did it cost me more to ship from me? Maybe I packed my box better?
Posted By: toogood Re: Another dead XTSc - 03/14/12 12:26 PM
I've replaced several of the blown capacitors with success. If you look at the cabinet near the fuse at the bottom you will see 4 caps in a group. The bottom right cap seems to be the culprit. Normally, if is blown, the top will be bowed out not flat like the rest.
Posted By: MnDave Re: Another dead XTSc - 03/14/12 02:52 PM
KUDOS TO TOOGOOD! aok And yes, I meant to shout!
It was almost imperceptible but I replaced c190 anyway, and it powered right up! It will be interesting to discover if a higher voltage capacitor is used as a replacement by the repair service.
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: Another dead XTSc - 03/15/12 03:59 AM
Thanks for sharing that TooGood!
Posted By: Ironhedz Re: Another dead XTSc - 03/15/12 04:01 AM
Thanks guys,

I had to replace one yesterday, that is good info toogood.

I will try it and get back to you guys.
Posted By: phoneguy10 Re: Another dead XTSc - 03/15/12 10:19 AM
I have lost no fewer than 10 XTSc cabinets over the last 18 months, all just over 5 years old. It happens to us when there is a power issue and the cabinet goes down and wont come back. The only way to get it back is to re-intialize and re-load the data base but it will only happen again. It is indeed bad Caps on the back plane and it is a relatively simple repair (Aztec knocks it out in half an hour). We had this happen on STS/STSe cabinets as well but we have never (knock on wood) had a problem with the XTS. Doesnt really matter at this point, they are all gone, but all of the 3 I just mentioned we a pleasure install compared to whats out there now.
Posted By: Ironhedz Re: Another dead XTSc - 03/15/12 11:29 AM
Thanks toogood. Just replaced the c190, and it came up without any issues. this is great, thanks again
Posted By: tpayson Re: Another dead XTSc - 03/15/12 04:28 PM
I just brought one of these in DOA. I've brought the power supply back to life (I replaced all the 220uf caps in that grouping...I think it's good...), but I only have the manual for the large XTS and am looking for the manuals for the C so I can default and test it...please let me know if you have a set of C manuals (preferrably electronic) I'm willing to trade.

Thanks, TimP
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: Another dead XTSc - 03/16/12 03:49 AM
Tim, did you try the "Manuals" link at the top of the page?
Posted By: tpayson Re: Another dead XTSc - 03/16/12 10:28 AM
Yes, we've got membership to a few as well as several libraries gathered over the years (not to mention shelves and shelves going back to the days of NY-TEL...but sadly, none of them are for the c... I'll poke around the manuals link again...maybe I missed something.
Posted By: tpayson Re: Another dead XTSc - 03/22/12 03:47 PM
No luck on the manuals link...Got another one in today...yippeeeee
Posted By: Deltron Re: Another dead XTSc - 09/12/12 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by MNDAVE
KUDOS TO TOOGOOD! aok And yes, I meant to shout!
It was almost imperceptible but I replaced c190 anyway, and it powered right up! It will be interesting to discover if a higher voltage capacitor is used as a replacement by the repair service.
Anybody ever find out what Aztek is using on the repaired units?
Posted By: MnDave Re: Another dead XTSc - 09/13/12 12:21 AM
From what I've seen, the cap was always identical to OEM.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help