atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: MTC Telcom Advice - 03/15/05 08:34 PM
I wanted to get an opinion from the board.

I sold some Avaya telephones on e-bay, and the buyer won't pay. Not a big deal. I am not out that much money, and I can resell them. My problem is, the buyer has played the game of the check is in the mail, I'll bring a check to your office and not show up, and now ignoring me. A simple I don't want these, or I made a mistake when I bid on them, would have worked. We could have worked things out.

I am contemplating reporting this to e-bay and to this and other tech forums; however the buyer is a member of this board. I am new to this board, and I have found it educational and entertaining. I don't want to cause a problem over a couple of hundred bucks and bruised ego.

What would you do?
Posted By: WRichey Re: Advice - 03/15/05 08:53 PM
Well if he is a member here I think the cat should be let out (ebay too) I can say this much for the board I like the people and will send as much work there way as possible but if I cant trust a possible job or sale and I send it to someone here how does that make me look? also I think (correct me if im wrong) we are here to help others as much as we can and if this other party is a !@$#@#$! then he deserves to be shown the door! people like that ruin guys like us trying to get by and help others in the process
Posted By: OhioTelecom Re: Advice - 03/16/05 05:15 AM
I am not sure how ebay works, but if you still have the product, what money are you out? But Hall of Shame forum is where you would want to post. Unless you are talking about me, then I wouldn't post anything anywhere ever! haha
Posted By: groundstart Re: Advice - 03/16/05 05:35 AM
"I dont want to cause a problem'

You were cheated out of a delivered product. Post the persons name, and guilt will take its toll....
Posted By: upstateny Re: Advice - 03/16/05 05:56 AM
Leave negative feedback on E-Bay - that is what their whole feedback thing is all about.
Posted By: telsetrepair Re: Advice - 03/16/05 06:45 AM
File a NON PAYING BIDDER ALERT with ebay, they will refund your $$ and let you repost for free. NEG feedbacks do not get someone off ebay, they simply let other users know of thier experience....to many negs....steer clear.
3 Non paying bidder alerts gets you canned on ebay. IF you shipped the product then you have learned NEVER ship until you get the $$. Checks MUST clear before item ships.
State that in your auctions.
Posted By: Punch Down Re: Advice - 03/16/05 07:08 AM
If it was me I would post the individual's name in the Hall of Shame and don't be concerned about causing trouble. This individual has caused you trouble and grief and apparently doesn't have the morals necessary to be a good person. I personaly want to know who this is so I can avoid doing any business with him !!
Posted By: Test-ok Re: Advice - 03/16/05 09:10 AM
since you started this thread, post the users name and the link to Ebay...and let's have a discussion!
Posted By: paul144 Re: Advice - 03/16/05 09:40 AM
1) That is why E-Bay has feedback.
2) If you lost nothing, is it really worthy of the Hall of Shame?
Posted By: DnRComm Re: Advice - 03/16/05 10:44 AM
Yea, I agree, keep it in ebay. Neg feedback and Buyer will not pay report.

------------------
Voice and Data Cabling in DFW, [email protected]
https://www.dnrcomm.com
Posted By: locg Re: Advice - 03/16/05 12:13 PM
let the cat out the bag and get the party started stop being a wuss. just kidding but like said others would like to know who this shiester is so we avoid doing business with him cause we do get and offer a lot of work here. bad business is bad for business.
Posted By: Test-ok Re: Advice - 03/16/05 01:08 PM
Folks remember now, so far you have only heard one side of the story. There might be a reason it happened the way it did.
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: Advice - 03/16/05 03:19 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by test-ok:
Folks remember now, so far you have only heard one side of the story. There might be a reason it happened the way it did. </font>

Good point!

------------------
[Linked Image from sigcomsys.com]
| Signal Communication Systems - Fresno, CA | Phone Systems - Central Valley, CA
Posted By: Bob3470 Re: Advice - 03/16/05 03:22 PM
Maybe there are two sides to the story but if this guy wont pay hes a thief . If nobody speaks up against this they just keep doing it over and over again at the honest guys expense.

------------------
Posted By: roldan Re: Advice - 03/16/05 08:42 PM
Two side to every story....True. So, Mr./Mrs. nonpayer if you are a member of this forum and know who you are, let us hear your side of the story.

[This message has been edited by roldan (edited March 16, 2005).]
Posted By: MTC Telcom Re: Advice - 03/17/05 01:08 PM
All,

Thanks for your input. They learned a valuable lesson that there is less then 6 degrees of seperation in this business. I would say 2 maybe 3. They have paid, and lesson learned.

Chris
Posted By: Test-ok Re: Advice - 03/17/05 01:42 PM
What did they learn and how did they learn this?
Do you mean threaten to exposure them on this board?
Posted By: Corwyn Re: Advice - 03/17/05 02:59 PM
MTC Telcom,

POST THE PERSONS NAME!

Here is why!
I am a very junior member on this board, and I KNOW that all of the advice I've offered here could have been offered by dozens with far more knowledge.

The 4 major reasons I come to this board are - in order, learn, offer any advice I can, get work, and share the experiences frustrations and humor that comes from working for yourself in this industry.

I feel that this is in line with the reasons why this board was created in the first place and if your description of events is accurate this person is betraying this.

I've been lucky enough to receive work from people here, who has treated me with respect and paid me more than fairly. I've also been able to offer some people a little work.

When we do this for each other here we do it on the basis of trust.
I am a one man business and the MOST important thing I offer to my clients is my word. My clients know that because I am a small business every deal is important, but also I offer more personalized service than a larger competitor can afford or is willing to do for the same margin.

If I give a job to someone here and they screw me, it costs me not only that job but a whole lot more in the future, as at least 60% of my business comes from
refferals from previous customers. Whether that's direct from that customer or his/her OK for me to use their name as a refference of "job well done".

If a person on this board is willing to jerk you around for a few $100 there is a great risk that they would do far worse for a few $1000. We should know who it is.

Since you've gone this far, if you don't out them;
1) we may wonder whether this was just YOUR tentrum.
2) they won't defend themselves and the rest of us will wonder if the next job we want to post here is going to this person and should we post it here, costing possibly YOU future income.

Also, it's still very possible that there was just a simple miss-understanding and
you could clear the air. In the process we'll all learn something about handling a particular situation better.
Posted By: A6 Re: Advice - 03/17/05 05:15 PM
If MTC has resolved his situation to his satisfaction, I don't feel as though he needs to name names. He mentioned there was resolution.
As was mentioned, we only know one part of the story.
Posted By: Test-ok Re: Advice - 03/17/05 07:24 PM
What works...works [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
I'm glad you got it resolved.
Posted By: Punch Down Re: Advice - 03/17/05 07:33 PM
[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com] Since the issue is apparently resolved no need to throw dirty oil on the individuals face. But my concern is like everyone else, why did that individual have to be almost shamed into correcting his morals and that we should not be apprehensive about dealing with members within our own trade and this group. My idea is for the administrators to have knowledge of both sides and decide the individual's status of the board. To me the administrators are the mediators. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
Posted By: MTC Telcom Re: Advice - 03/17/05 08:04 PM
All,

I agree that there is 2 sides of the story. For all I know there could have been something that prohibit them from completing the transaction. I think clearer communication on their part would have avoided any problem.

I have communicated with an admin, and I trust they will monitor.

My family has been in the telephone industry since the late 1920s. I know that this is a relative close comunity, and your bound cross paths directly or indirectly with people in this industry.

Example, anyone go to a AT&T/Lucent school in Dublin Ohio, or a Nortel school in Richardson TX. How many CWA or IBEW do we have on this board?
Posted By: Test-ok Re: Advice - 03/18/05 08:43 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">My idea is for the administrators to have knowledge of both sides and decide the individual's status of the board.To me the administrators are the mediators.</font>

Uhaaa....No, I don't think so!!! Not going to happen [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
The board seems to be working just fine in that aspect. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">My family has been in the telephone industry since the late 1920s.</font>
Are you any relation to the Alexander Bell clan??
Posted By: Crowtalks Re: Advice - 03/19/05 09:54 AM
I'm an IBEW member, and have been to Richardson a few times...
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help