atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: ntnsnoopy Butt Set "How To" - 09/14/04 11:34 AM
Anyone have a website or know of any material that would show how to use a Telephone Butt Set?
Posted By: justbill Re: Butt Set "How To" - 09/14/04 11:44 AM
Only thing I would know of is the instructions that come with it. What is it you want to know? There are different styles that do different things.
Bill
Posted By: ntnsnoopy Re: Butt Set "How To" - 09/14/04 01:35 PM
I guess my first question should be just what functions can this thing do. But I'll start with what do the STO, PSE, RCL and LNR buttons do?

Another would be can I attach the clips straight to the punch block to find an available line?

And yes, I am very much a novice with phones.
Posted By: ttech Re: Butt Set "How To" - 09/14/04 01:40 PM
store
pause
recall (flash)
Last number Redial

harris manuals are here:

https://www.networksupport.harris.com/support/documents.html#ptetmanual
Posted By: ntnsnoopy Re: Butt Set "How To" - 09/14/04 01:41 PM
Thank you! Thank you!
Posted By: ntnsnoopy Re: Butt Set "How To" - 09/14/04 01:41 PM
Thank you! Thank you!
Posted By: Mark K. Re: Butt Set "How To" - 09/14/04 02:23 PM
yikes!
Posted By: MrGemini Re: Butt Set "How To" - 09/14/04 05:23 PM
Hey snoop, I hope your serious about learning and not just taking advantage of some poor Tech. who left his buttset behind! [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
Posted By: Gene Re: Butt Set "How To" - 09/14/04 05:38 PM
Sounds like snoop could use some cable stretchers,and some Dial Tone spray for his Butt set All the dial tone has probably dried up
Posted By: walterv Re: Butt Set "How To" - 09/14/04 06:08 PM
Little food for thought....

When you have someone ask a question like this... the light bulb should at least flicker in your mind...

Here is another computer guy that is going to undercut our prices and steal our customers... or even worse it is a end user that is going to do the same....

when someone asks a question like that ... we should not even respond.... it is taking food away from ourselves to support someone like this....

That is the problem with this forum...

My 2c........

Walter
Posted By: justbill Re: Butt Set "How To" - 09/14/04 09:16 PM
I think y'all maybe over reacting a little. No matter who this is the question should tell you they are no threat to your profession. This forum is only as good or bad as the forum members. I think everyone does a pretty good job of policing each other.
Bill
Posted By: Bigkayeh Re: Butt Set "How To" - 09/14/04 09:26 PM
I agree with Bill. When he goes off hook on the wrong circuit he will find a great appreciation for the tech who has to bail him out. And if he learns a little then whats the harm. We all started somewhere.

Kerry
Posted By: Z-man Re: Butt Set "How To" - 09/14/04 10:55 PM
Walt, if you think this is bad, you should check out TT. They get em all there.

Snoop, just remember this. If you are learning how to use this to save some money, a service call from a tech is far less expensive than a shorted out T-1 card or IA router.
Posted By: dtmf Re: Butt Set "How To" - 09/15/04 06:03 AM
walterv,
How can you possibly be threatened by that question, if the person doesn't even know how to use a butt set how can they be a threat to anyone?
Posted By: ntnsnoopy Re: Butt Set "How To" - 09/15/04 06:08 AM
Sorry for the trouble this caused. I am not out to steal a job nor to save money. This is all a learning experience for me. I've done a little phone work for the last 12 years that I've been in I.T. Yes, I.T. is my main profession but along the way, I do run into a few phone tasks. I know very little like how to punch down lines, tracing phone numbers on a binding post, and some switch work.

Currently, I have a daunting task of tracing binding posts right now and rather than punching down wires and connecting a phone to it, I found out that using the butt set is much easier.

I have all the respect for all of the telecom workers. I think the work you all do is commendable and without you guys, life would be miserable. I do like to learn and this is exactly what I'm doing. Yes, I probably could've contacted the phone company to do this and get a hard copy but there's always a learning experience when I do things myself.

I hope I can continue to use this board. I definitely like the reading. It's a great source.
Posted By: justbill Re: Butt Set "How To" - 09/15/04 08:03 AM
There are some very knowledgeable people on this board, even they have to ask a question now and then. None of us started knowing how to do the work. Welcome to the board.
Bill
Posted By: walterv Re: Butt Set "How To" - 09/15/04 08:14 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by justbill:
I think y'all maybe over reacting a little. No matter who this is the question should tell you they are no threat to your profession. This forum is only as good or bad as the forum members. I think everyone does a pretty good job of policing each other.
Bill
</font>

Bill yup your correct just a bad day yesterday..Had a customer try to save money and used a guy that new nothing about the system and screwed it all up.... and the of course they want us to come fix it right away...
with my jammed up schedule it just ceates a scheduling problem.

PS. No disrespect was intended to the person who posted the original post.

Walter
Posted By: junkman Re: Butt Set "How To" - 09/15/04 08:05 PM
Snoop, you're not alone. I've been in IT for many years, have done some phone work for a few more years, and finally made the switch from IT to phones about 2 years ago. The 2 best ways to learn are (1) ask the guys that have been doing it longer than you have and (2) RTFM.
Posted By: justbill Re: Butt Set "How To" - 09/15/04 08:50 PM
Walterv,
Wish I had a scheduling problem. Out here in the sticks I get a lot of days off, really a nice change from the hectic days at AT&T. Sooo, when am I going to see my area in "Request an Installer"? Work for food and a brew!
Bill
Posted By: justbill Re: Butt Set "How To" - 09/21/04 09:37 PM
Man, you guys are tuff. OK no food, but that's it, no further negotiations! [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
Posted By: bits4pcs Re: Butt Set "How To" - 09/22/04 12:35 PM
Just a note!
most other industries have been influenced by the IT market. And installers
are finding that they have to learn more software and proggraming from computers/laptops, voice mail systems are arriving on just computers so the more IT proffesionals and Computer Engineers that are on this Bulletin board the better.
For technical questions And general help
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help