atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: liquidvw ooma - 10/30/09 04:45 AM
Anyone used this yet?

https://www.ooma.com/
Posted By: hbiss Re: ooma - 10/30/09 05:39 AM
Yeah, another Vonage with a different payment method. puke

-Hal
Posted By: dexman Re: ooma - 10/30/09 06:28 AM
None of these providers tells you up front that the quality of your Internet connection is a huge determining factor in how well a call will sound.
Posted By: hbiss Re: ooma - 10/30/09 07:41 AM
At least with Vonage you pay month to month (I think) not fork over $250 all at once then find out the thing sucks. Wonder how easy it is to get a refund. :rofl:

These "techie" people today will fall for anything.

-Hal
Posted By: Test-ok Re: ooma - 10/30/09 12:58 PM
People in general will fall for most anything.
Posted By: bdunne Re: ooma - 10/30/09 02:54 PM
Don't forget, 49.9999999999% of all people are stoopider than the average person, it's a fact!
Posted By: dagwoodsystems Re: ooma - 10/30/09 08:34 PM
Both Ooma and Vonage have "five nines" reliability--or is pitched as being very close to that standard. Cha! Too bad all the nines are to the right of the decimal point.
Posted By: BillFlippen Re: ooma - 12/02/09 03:07 PM
Hal, I understand your resentment to VoiP. However, What was asked by LiquidVW is "has anyone used this yet". I, for one, am entertaining getting this. $250 is 10 months of phone bills. Not a bad gamble IMO
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: ooma - 12/02/09 03:31 PM
Liquid, have you tried the MJ yet? If you have a computer with broadband that's on 24/7, it's only $20/year and has voice mail, don't know if it has any other whistles, 'cause I don't care. I for one will hang onto my 'copper powered' pots line 'til it's pried from my cold, dead, hands. But, for $20/year, I'll put up with occasional screw-ups. The complaints I see on here, and hear from customers, it's as good or better than CLEC or Cable-phone, service. The ILECs aren't allowed to REALLY compete yet, are they? When they can drop their prices and kick employees to the curb, then things will REALLY go to hades! frown
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: ooma - 12/02/09 04:49 PM
My buddy has 16MB cable at home and uses ooma. He got rid of his phone lines but forgot about his alarm system needing a phone line laugh
Posted By: superfoneguy Re: ooma - 12/03/09 09:52 AM
I bought one about a month ago and it works very well. I use Comcast cable at home and have ordered my Comcast phone number ported to the Ooma service.

The device seems well made and there was almost no setup. I paid 200 bucks for the unit and after the first year, I owe about 12 bucks a year.

I have successfully done remotes via modem on a few PBX's, though I think the speeds were slower.
Posted By: liquidvw Re: ooma - 12/03/09 09:58 AM
Liquid, have you tried the MJ yet?
I have not. And I have not purchased the Ooma. Since the magic jack requires a PC to make phone calls, its not an great solution for my wife who just wants to pick up a phone and dial. If you could run the MJ without a PC, then I would be all over that. That is why I asked about Ooma. It a big one time fee but if it lasted for more then a year you would be in the black. I'm sure they are cheaply made so they break after some time and require you to buy another. Time will tell...
Posted By: EV607797 Re: ooma - 12/03/09 11:22 AM
I'm fairly impressed with the MJ. My computer is a boat anchor with only 128Mb of RAM and I still have good call quality. I do leave this computer on all the time though. The only problem I've had has been long delays in pulling dial tone or for the call to complete, but that is due to lack of memory in my PC. I'm using it as an extra line on my system now, but once I upgrade my computer's memory, I'll be using it regularly.
Posted By: liquidvw Re: ooma - 12/03/09 12:08 PM
I do leave this computer on all the time though.
That's my problem. In a effort to go green (ie save money as I'm cheap), I have no PC's in my house. We all use laptops but turn them off when not in use.

On another note. The google phone looks promising. If that comes out, I think I'll buy in from day 1.

https://www.livescience.com/technology/091202-google-phone-free-service-voip.html
Posted By: CnGRacin Re: ooma - 12/03/09 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Lightninghorse:
The ILECs aren't allowed to REALLY compete yet, are they? When they can drop their prices and kick employees to the curb, then things will REALLY go to hades! frown
John, you really know how to make a feller feel all warm –n- fuzzy on the inside don’t ya!?!?! :p laugh
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help