atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: kraneworldchamp cable problem - 03/11/07 08:55 AM
Hey guys I have a customer with cablevision there is one channel that he watches and and every some times the picture will get distorted for about 2 or 3 seconds looks like little boxes breaking up im assuming that this is a cable company problem but could it be the inside wiring thanks in advance
Posted By: WRichey Re: cable problem - 03/11/07 09:00 AM
it's the signal being broken up. Probably not the house wiring.

I see it often with Dish and Direct
Posted By: Milestone Re: cable problem - 03/11/07 09:39 AM
Originally posted by kraneworldchamp:
Hey guys I have a customer with cablevision there is one channel that he watches and and every some times the picture will get distorted for about 2 or 3 seconds looks like little boxes breaking up im assuming that this is a cable company problem but could it be the inside wiring thanks in advance
It could be inside or outside wiring, the cable companies are pushing higher and higher frequencies down the pipe and this causes the digitizing, how often does it happen, is only the one channel and who did the inside wiring? This does sound like a cable company issue.
Posted By: Rover88 Re: cable problem - 03/11/07 09:57 AM
Sounds like too "hot" of a video signal. We get this sometimes if the amp at our head-end isn't tuned properly. For best results, the cable company should check this, since the video levels change from one channel to the next; they'll have to balance the signal based on their transmissions.
Bill
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: cable problem - 03/11/07 10:44 AM
Having just been upgraded from Adelphia analog system to TWC digital, (TWC bought local Adelphia installation) I can't buy in house cabling, esp if only on 1 channel. My house is 8 years old, TWC guy said the my in-house cable plant is exactly what TWC would specify today. All that said, what I'm trying to say is, it happened on both types of systems, same signal ('XYZ' don't want to mention names, I've seen it on other signals,) way different channel on cable. I'm guessing it can be either satellite or signal provider problem, because sometimes the 'show' picks up at the same spot and sometimes it will 'jump' 3-4 seconds. But, what do I know, I'm just a phone tech, my RF experience consists of Radio Relay training in the USAF 40 years ago! John C.
Posted By: anthonyh Re: cable problem - 03/11/07 10:45 AM
I am leaning towards the cable company, you may want to verify the splitters being used can pass the entire freqency range the cable company is pushing
Posted By: jwooten Re: cable problem - 03/11/07 11:51 AM
What they are seeing is called signal pixelation. Over several days, have your customer keep a log of these occurrences. Then call the cable provider. Also, poor electrical power at the set top box can cause this!
Posted By: hbiss Re: cable problem - 03/11/07 12:43 PM
This sounds like a cable company problem. Pixelation is caused by a low signal level, any lower and no picture. It could be caused by an intermittant in your wiring but that's not going to only affect one channel. I actually notice this here also (Cablevision) and it looks like a problem with the sat signal.

If you are concerned call it in and have them send out a tech who will check your levels.

-Hal
Posted By: ALLN1 Re: cable problem - 03/11/07 06:16 PM
I would agree this sounds like a cable problem.

There is very little chance of it being a inside wire. I have had a few with this problem be inside wire. But very rarely.

Sounds like low signal coming from the cable company and you probably need an amp installed by them or atleast have them check the levels at the jack inside.

If it is a inside wire problem then you would notice this problem on several channels not just one. In the digital age it wouldn't have to be on every channel Could just be 5-10 channels due to the way it is digitized.

Brain
Posted By: kraneworldchamp Re: cable problem - 03/12/07 04:52 AM
thanks guys
Posted By: elindio Re: cable problem - 03/12/07 05:56 AM
I 'saw' this with DTV (HD) and it was on the higher numbered channel(s). After doing the dish realignment, replacing some connector (crimp to compression), I found a piece of RG-59 (20 yrs old)in the wall feeding that living room. Cable also had a knot just before the jack!! Replaced with RG-6 (no knots) and customer happy.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help