atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: cyberbone working for Tekworks? - 11/18/06 05:53 PM
Hello all. i have an interview with Tekworks (Tekworks Website) in Corona, CA on tuesday the 21 of november. they also have a location in Poway, CA (san diego) i was wondering if anyone here has ever worked for them or ever dealt with them before. i've been trying to find information online and stuff with no luck, not even any BBB info. maybe because they are a private company.

well if anyone can help me out that'd be great.
CB
Posted By: HJB Re: working for Tekworks? - 11/21/06 12:12 PM
As a PM/Estimator in California I would use Tekworks for "temps" on projects where we needed a little extra manpower or just whenever our full-time techs were already allocated to projects.

From a "user-of-Tekworks" perspective it was hit and miss regarding the quality of the techs. Some were okay. But, most had little to no training or experience and they ended up wasting more time than they gave.

For example, there would be a high fail rate when it came time to test. Their termination skills weren't very good and they needed to have their hand held way too much.

Every now and then we would get a winner and we would end up keeping them on board for several months.

I don't post this to relfect on you in any way. It's just that good techs are hard to come by.

A good tech is one who possesses the skills and experience necessary for the position, and also someone who doesn't need to be bailed out of jail on Monday morning for a weekend DUI. Half the battle with techs is having them show up to the job site in a professional manner (appearance and attitude).

If you are a tech and you offer these 3 things you will not be a tech for very long (you will be promoted to PM/Sales/Estimator, etc.

-- present yourself professionally (not smelling like beer, hair is cut, face shaved, clothes clean and ironed, if necessary)
--have a positive and professional attitude (courteous, don't use profanity, no crude or disrespectful jokes or behavior, honest, etc.)
-- know how to do your job correctly, show a willingness to learn, and take responsibility for errors that you make

The above is the tech's secret to success...
Posted By: cyberbone Re: working for Tekworks? - 11/21/06 04:57 PM
thanks very much for your reply. the interview only lasted 10 minutes. im better off with the electrical contractor im currently with.

i do offer all 3 of the things you spoke of. i guess Tekworks doesnt care and just wanted another Body cause they're so busy right now.

all Tekworks were going to offer me was $12/hr and having me drive my truck all over the place for free. Ppffftt. yeah right.
Posted By: skip555 Re: working for Tekworks? - 11/22/06 09:00 AM
all Tekworks were going to offer me was $12/hr and having me drive my truck all over the place for free. Ppffftt. yeah right.
explains why they don't get many good techs
Posted By: J2telnoob Re: working for Tekworks? - 11/28/06 01:07 AM
teksystems is a decent agency but it may be too far for you. they kept me busy for a few months with decent jobs. they had a little dry spell in the fall which seems odd to me but i havent been in the industry long enough to know its patterns.

https://www.teksystems.com/Locations/United-States/California.aspx
Posted By: KLD Re: working for Tekworks? - 12/01/06 12:08 AM
Bump
Posted By: J2telnoob Re: working for Tekworks? - 12/02/06 12:53 PM
Bump?

I gather that youre a man of few words but you can do better than that! :toothy:
Posted By: cyberbone Re: working for Tekworks? - 12/02/06 08:11 PM
thanks for the other recommendation. no locations near me. i was thinking about starting my own company anyway. i've been thinking about it for a long time now, maybe its time to stop thinking. laugh
Posted By: KLD Re: working for Tekworks? - 12/03/06 10:53 AM
Don't forget to get your CA Contractor numbers --- There used to be a good sized interconnect in Lancaster that did work over your way. Also was one in Palmdale that did a lot of schools.

If you want names, etc, give me a PM.
Posted By: cyberbone Re: working for Tekworks? - 12/05/06 08:58 PM
i'll try not to. but i think i'll be moving to missouri next year so i think i'll wait till i move to do my start up. in the mean time i can learn more stuff. i wish the electrical contractor i work for now installed phone systems.

anyone know of a short course that i could take at night time in the inland empire area of california that will teach me lucent or avaya phone systems ( those seem to be the most popular in southern california) TIA

Kevin
Posted By: MrJunglist Re: working for Tekworks? - 01/28/07 04:49 PM
You have your companies mixed up buddy. I work for Tekworks and we are not a temp agency. We are completely separate from Teksystems, the temp agency which you are most likely referring to. And for the cyberzone guy, if they only offered you 12/hr it's most likely because you dont have enough experience or something along those lines. We also get reimbursed for all mileage and any other work related expenses.
Posted By: barster Re: working for Tekworks? - 01/28/07 07:56 PM
I did some work for Teksystems yearrrrssssss ago. They were allright...I was desperate for work and they gave me some. Just short term jobs...to help out interconnects that got in a pinch.
Posted By: cyberbone Re: working for Tekworks? - 01/28/07 08:39 PM
Originally posted by MrJunglist:
You have your companies mixed up buddy. I work for Tekworks and we are not a temp agency. We are completely separate from Teksystems, the temp agency which you are most likely referring to. And for the cyberzone guy, if they only offered you 12/hr it's most likely because you dont have enough experience or something along those lines. We also get reimbursed for all mileage and any other work related expenses.
nope. im really positive it was tekworks, the new office in corona. i have loads of experience almost 7 years and i currently work for an electrical contractor. i specifically asked about the pay and they said that all they could afford right now because its a new office and offered nothing above and beyond the $12/hr.
Posted By: firefighter Re: working for Tekworks? - 02/06/07 07:28 PM
did you check in sanbernardino they have alot of companys there the only problem you are going to have it sounds like you don't do systems you just pull cable you might need to take the $12 hr to get your feet wet on phone systems then you can ask for the big bucks. just remembr they don't know you for adam so you need to show them what you know then you can ask for the money. i had a company there in southern cal and its a hard area to start a company with so many laws if you don't have bucks going into it it can crash fast. just a little insite for you. good luck and missour is a union state so watch that like i said good luck and let God bless you in what ever you do
Posted By: CnGRacin Re: working for Tekworks? - 02/07/07 08:35 AM
Originally posted by cyberbone:
... i think i'll be moving to missouri next year so i think i'll wait till i move to do my start up.
Kevin,
Hope that will be a good move for ya sir!!!

What part of the Show Me State you coming to? If you're heading to the STL area know that unions control the skilled trades in this area… I don’t want to deter you from coming here or following your dream at all but coming from CA to MO you'll find some difference in the level of organized labor.
Posted By: cyberbone Re: working for Tekworks? - 02/07/07 07:48 PM
i'll be moving to the tri-lakes area. union state eh? in all my research i've done about moving there i never came across anything the mentioned alot of union activity. or maybe not in the SW area of MO?
interesting...

Originally posted by CnGRacin:
Originally posted by cyberbone:
[b] ... i think i'll be moving to missouri next year so i think i'll wait till i move to do my start up.
Kevin,
Hope that will be a good move for ya sir!!!

What part of the Show Me State you coming to? If you're heading to the STL area know that unions control the skilled trades in this area… I don’t want to deter you from coming here or following your dream at all but coming from CA to MO you'll find some difference in the level of organized labor. [/b]
Posted By: CnGRacin Re: working for Tekworks? - 02/08/07 06:48 AM
Oh no… You’ll have no (or little) worries with union issues (good or bad) in that part of the state. It’s really only the St. Louis and surrounding areas where it would be pretty much required to be AFL-CIO affiliated to function.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help