atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: RemembersCrossBar5 Remote DID location calling 911 - 10/05/06 08:33 AM
I have a PBX at my main site with a remote location fed off that switch. I'm worried that when someone picks up the phone to call 911, it will give the address of the PBX location next door and time will be lost for assistance. My PBX vendor is saying telco can do something with the caller ID of my DID numbers to enable the right info to be recieved by the PSAP. Does anyone know anything about this or has anyone had this issue before and thought of way to resolve it? My PBX vendor is telling me to install RED pots lines. I'm hoping for a more high tech solution. Thoughts?
Depending on your carrier they may be able to give the 911 database a physical address based upon a specific block of DIDs. Say you have DID range 212-555-2000 through 2199 some carriers can say calls originating with outbound caller ID of 2000-2099 are at physical address number 1 and calls with CID from 2100-2199 are at location number 2. It is really dependant on the installers to know this if you invoke so that a DID out of the desired range is not used at the wrong location.
Posted By: liquidvw Re: Remote DID location calling 911 - 10/05/06 09:09 AM
PBX? Software version? Remote location has a PBX? Or just IP phones?
Posted By: liquidvw Re: Remote DID location calling 911 - 10/05/06 09:14 AM
Multitech makss gateways to address this exact problem.

https://www.multitech.com/
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Remote DID location calling 911 - 10/05/06 10:23 AM
Tone Commander also makes a device that goes in-line with the PRI serving the PBX. It can translate the originating extension number into the appropriate information to route the 911 call properly. It can also send an alarm message to the appropriate party to let them know that a 911 call occurred.
Posted By: Carp Re: Remote DID location calling 911 - 10/05/06 02:58 PM
Perhaps route all the 911 calls from that location to the local police?
Posted By: IPKII Re: Remote DID location calling 911 - 10/05/06 05:21 PM
What kind of PBX are we talking about? If it is fairly current, it might have E-911 capability, where, the PBX can "send" the relevent info out based on where the call is originating from.

But, it sounds like your PBX vendor has already looked into this for you?

We will need more info on this PBX...
Posted By: CMDL_GUY Re: Remote DID location calling 911 - 10/06/06 07:17 AM
Talk to the E-911 coordinator at that PSAP. You should be able to list the address in the PSAP database for that DID. Then you have to make sure that the PRI is sending out the digits and the LDN is not send for every outbound call.
Posted By: TelecomGod42 Re: Remote DID location calling 911 - 10/19/06 08:10 AM
I would also suggest a policy that whenever anyone calls 911 they call the main number/switchboard. That way if there is any questions from EMS they know where to send them.
Posted By: PhoneSol Re: Remote DID location calling 911 - 10/19/06 11:20 AM
Just as a FYI....
ESI systems automatically ring the operator phone when anyone on the system dials 911. It shows the extension and name of the caller in the display. Also rings until the operator picks up the phone and hears the "a 911 call has been placed by...." message.

I've always thought that was a very cool feature, especially in a large office environment.
Posted By: mongo5150 Re: Remote DID location calling 911 - 10/19/06 11:36 AM
Originally posted by PhoneSol:
Just as a FYI....
ESI systems automatically ring the operator phone when anyone on the system dials 911. It shows the extension and name of the caller in the display. Also rings until the operator picks up the phone and hears the "a 911 call has been placed by...." message.

I've always thought that was a very cool feature, especially in a large office environment.
And if the operator is in the bathroom, the call is delayed that much longer for an actuall 911 operator. As a firefighter/EMT, that doesnt sound like a good scenario to me.
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: Remote DID location calling 911 - 10/20/06 04:48 AM
Originally posted by mongo5150:
And if the operator is in the bathroom, the call is delayed that much longer for an actuall 911 operator. As a firefighter/EMT, that doesnt sound like a good scenario to me.

The 911 call goes through to the 911 operator. The phone system just notifies the receptionist that a call has been placed. Vodavi has this feature as well.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help