atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: AWTech Bell Canada "Local Link" - 08/27/06 10:24 AM
I posted this in the Telephone Service section a few weeks ago and haven't gotten any replys, so I thought someone over here might be able to help.

"Does anyone have any info as to which switch(es) is/are used to provide this service.
In particular I would like to know what format the caller ID is sent as."

Thanks ahead of time if anyone has an answer.
Mark S
Posted By: TexasTechnician Re: Bell Canada "Local Link" - 08/27/06 03:12 PM
Welcome aboard AWTech welcome

One of our mods works for a LEC in your part of the world. He'll probably be along soon and may be able to help you.
Posted By: AWTech Re: Bell Canada "Local Link" - 08/27/06 03:18 PM
Thanks for the welcome, this is a great forum, probably shouldn't have lurked for so long.
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Bell Canada "Local Link" - 08/27/06 03:21 PM
If you can post the NPA-NXX (Area code-Exchange) I may be able to provide the switch type for you.
Posted By: AWTech Re: Bell Canada "Local Link" - 08/27/06 03:42 PM
I don't have the tel number with me, but the caller ID is MDMF type: 6.

I haven't been able to find anything on it anywhere.
Posted By: AWTech Re: Bell Canada "Local Link" - 08/27/06 03:46 PM
I should also say:
"Telephone equipment changes may be required in order to support caller ID at the desktop. With Local Link lines, business customers don't have to dial 9 first before they make their call, and transferring callers to a mobile or external office is as easy as hitting the "link" key on your telephone set."

Above is from the Bell Canada web site, I'm assuming the "link" key is flash.
Posted By: AWTech Re: Bell Canada "Local Link" - 08/27/06 03:51 PM
I did have area code and exchange in an email- (416)-408-xxxx.

Thanks for the help!
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Bell Canada "Local Link" - 08/27/06 05:36 PM
All I can find is very generic "Toronto" listings. "Toron42" shows up, but no address or CO-switch specific information.
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: Bell Canada "Local Link" - 08/27/06 05:45 PM
https://www.telcodata.us/switchinfo.html?clli=TOROON63CG5&results=1
Posted By: AWTech Re: Bell Canada "Local Link" - 08/27/06 08:30 PM
Thanks for the link and all the help.
Does DMH mean it is a DMS 100, or is it something different?
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Bell Canada "Local Link" - 08/27/06 08:50 PM
I doubt that you will see much of anything but DMS switches in Bell Canada territory. They practically invented them when they were spun off on their own back in the 1970's from the US Bell System. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that it might mean DMS Hub office with remotes? Maybe you could try sending a PM to AnthonyH. He works with them from time to time and might know.
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Bell Canada "Local Link" - 08/28/06 05:13 AM
I was able to find some info on this exchange

The Switch is a DMS100, as ED said most offices in the area probably are.

I am not familiar with the "Local Link" service, I sounds like it may be some type of Centrex service, but I am just guessing at that.

From what I understand Canada's CID info works a little different then it does in the US. I found an article that may help explaine it a bit.

"7. I'm in Canada, why doesn't my Caller ID work?

Yes, there is a country where things are more complicated than the UK. Most people think that Canada uses Bellcore, just like the USA. It does - almost. For some reason, the former Stentor member companies use a non-standard implementation of MDMF. Bellcore uses DN (Directory Number), usually the 10 digit number that includes the area code found in the phone book. Stentor uses DDN (Dialable Directory Number), a variable length number that is the number that must be dialed to call the other person
back (ie local calls don't include area code, long distance includes the preceding "1"). Normal Bellcore MDMF identifies each part of a message with a Message Type Word parameter, and the DN is assigned Parameter Type 02. The Canadian Stentor switches assign DDN to 03.
This is incredibly confusing for anything that only looks for the DN in 02, and this includes Unimodem (see below). Some modem drivers (and Canadian phones and caller ID boxes) check for both DN and DDN and will display either - 3Com ones for instance (and is there a general patch, perhaps for Unimodem?). Otherwise, you just have to avoid TAPI and use software that specifically knows about this quirk - Identafone is one, but most Canadian authors seem to have found out about this the hard way ;-). The relevant document was called Stentor document ID-0001 "CALL MANAGEMENT SERVICE (CMS) CALLING NUMBER DELIVERY (CND) (Single and Multiple Message Format) Terminal-to-Network Interface". Following the upheavals in the Canadian telecom market it is now Bell Interface Document BID-0001 and will cost you CAN$50 to download. Incidentally, Stentor's standard also allows for a Parameter Type 06, which includes a flag that indicates that the call is long distance and CallerID is not available, but it may no longer be in use. "

The page I found this on is:
https://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_faq.htm

I hope this helps a bit
Posted By: telemarv Re: Bell Canada "Local Link" - 08/28/06 05:30 AM
AW what seems to be your issue?

Local link is not Centrex. It is a standard 1FB POTS line with a packaged bundle of features...

caller ID
3 way calling
call answer
call forward

FYI Bell Canada calls their PRI service Mega-link.

Yes 99% of Bell Canada use DMS100 switches. As Anthony said Bell Canada was the parent company to Bell Northern Research (BNR) and Northern Telecom (Nortel) in the 70's and 80's where the DMS was born.

I've never had any issue with Caller ID or TAPI applications.
Posted By: AWTech Re: Bell Canada "Local Link" - 08/28/06 06:52 AM
Thank you all very much for the help. I think anthonyh found what I was looking for. I could not find the standard detailing the spec for the error code being generated (Parameter Type 06).
I'm pretty sure I can get a hold of a copy the Stentor document and detail the spec.
Posted By: AWTech Re: Bell Canada "Local Link" - 08/28/06 04:37 PM
Not to drag out the thread, but I did have a copy of the Bell doc already, with no mention of type 6. I found a copy of the Stentor doc and a related document descibing (just as above) the "L" for long distance.

Just wanted to thank everyone for helping out.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help