atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Danny_Ocean Temporarily Interconnecting two offices? - 09/12/05 04:51 PM
I have a client (apartment complex) who is housing one of their employees on-site. The employee's apartment will also function as a home-office. The building is about 300' from the rental office where the phone system (Nortel CICS) is located. Client wishes for the "home-based" employee to be on the same phone system for in/outbound calling, transfer & intercom purposes. This connection will only be required for a few months as they are building a new (larger) office.

I traced the wiring and it seems that all building feeds (Bell) lead out to the street. There are no pairs between buildings. Each building has its' own address.

There is no way to run aerial wire and client does not wish to pay for going underground.

Any ideas? Is anyone aware of a service provided by Bell that would allow an inter-connect through their wiring infrastructure?
Look at rented pairs and www.mck.com digital set extender solutions.

------------------
[Linked Image from commserveinc.com]

Business Phone Systems
Thanks. "Rented pairs" is the technical term?

I've used digital extenders previously (for Cat-5/networking issues) with great success.
When I worked for Northwestern bell (many years ago) they just called it an OPX (off premise extension) and charged for the pairs between the two, and it was reasonable. What they now charge for a week of dual service I wouldn't be too sure it's still reasonable. It more than likely is leased or rented pairs now.
Rented pairs is the term for renting or leasing 1 or more pairs from the telco for purpose of dry rightaway. Putting a MCK digital extender on these pairs would allow a remote digital set to be placed off premise.

------------------
[Linked Image from commserveinc.com]

Business Phone Systems
Posted By: KENB Re: Temporarily Interconnecting two offices? - 09/12/05 05:39 PM
Maybe you could make it with a s/l ext off the norstar to a cordless .
If you could find on of those real powerful
ones .
There are some here on L.I. the go from the
main land to boats off Fire Island

After rereading you post an its "ONLY A FEW MONTHS "
put a wire in pvc sprinkler pipe and lay it on the ground.

[This message has been edited by KENB (edited September 12, 2005).]
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KENB:
Maybe you could make it with a s/l ext off the norstar to a cordless .

After rereading you post an its "ONLY A FEW MONTHS "
put a wire in pvc sprinkler pipe and lay it on the ground.
</font>

I thought about cordless, but I can hear the owner complaining already.

Can't lay it on the ground. The place is a top-dollar classy joint...marble bathrooms, etc. (and the pipe would have to cross the main entrance).
Will a Nortel T7406 set work? The bonus part is that the transmitter is separate from the charger. Try the transmitter in the best location at the rental office (mount it outside in a PVC box up high if you have too). The drop in charger will be in his unit and he can take the phone with him if he is around the site.
That's an idea, but I'll have to determine if it's cheaper than a leased line. This is one of those clients who has more $$$ than God, but doesn't want to spend it.
The Engenius cordless with a external antenna will go well over the 300' theres also ANCO they have an RF telephone extender the leased pair with a digatal set would be the best
Posted By: brokeda Re: Temporarily Interconnecting two offices? - 09/12/05 07:59 PM
MCK extender across wireless bridge, will give network access and any Norstar phone you want.
you can supply the power to the norstar set via the extra pairs if i remember right
Posted By: paul144 Re: Temporarily Interconnecting two offices? - 09/13/05 08:25 AM
Just rent the pairs and use the extender. Easiest and most functional way to do it.

------------------
Business Telephone Repair
Posted By: mwann Re: Temporarily Interconnecting two offices? - 09/13/05 01:17 PM
I guess you can call what you want, but here we call them leased lines and it's not all that uncommon. i.e. "dry loops" for radio circuits, alarm loops, links from church to radio station for good ole Sunday worship on the radio services, etc. Whatever.

In your situation, and since it is short term, I'd just lease the lines.

Just my .02
Thanks all!
I fI remeber correctly rented/leased pairs are just that. copper pairs. An OPX will actually (amplify?) what ever your sending. Usually for longer ditances, needs to go through the CO. the rented/leased pairs may/maynot need to go through CO
Well...BellSouth wants $146/mo. for the leased pair. No problem. However, they want $950 to make the connection!?! Wiring is in place...this "fee" is just to make the jump at the street. Client refuses to pay that ransom (and I agree).

EnGenius w/ATA?
Why not just beam it wirelessly. Having said that bear in mind I'm not very familiar with that system, but we have had to run microwave across busy streets before for other systems.

We do a fair amout of TSCM work and have found numerous wiretaps over the years with a range farther than that. Plus with it being an apartment complex you probably have a good line of site between roof tops.
Posted By: brokeda Re: Temporarily Interconnecting two offices? - 09/25/05 08:37 PM
Wireless bridge, MCK extender, get phone and net work there, no monthly fee.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help