Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#576818 09/01/14 09:54 PM
Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
So I just bought my very first 1A2 KSU, a 551c with the ringing generator included. It will come with 400D line cards which I know from reading the various threads most likely won't work for me because I need cards that will work on bridged/metallic ringing. Will 400H cards do the trick? I will most likely be putting this system behind my ACS, which is behind my comcast voice modem. Definitely not grounded ringing like a true telco line. This is my first foray into 1A2 so I will definitely have many more questions to come. Without this forum I wouldn't likely even attempt this. You guys are an amazing source of information and I can't thank you enough.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

ChrisRR #576825 09/01/14 11:17 PM
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
The ringing signal of the Partner ACS is different than that of a POTs line. This may complicate things even more getting the 1A2 to function properly.

Optioning an available station port as a fax machine might provide a good approx of a Bell System ringing signal (it does with the Merlin Magix).

I Love FEATURE 00
ChrisRR #576826 09/01/14 11:35 PM
Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
Interesting, would never thought of that. I know with Icom rings and transfer rings it has a different cadence, but a standard phone call ring seems similar. I know the ACS seems to ring my old 500 and 2500 sets loud and clear. Some I had to adjust the bias spring, but that was it. I'm guessing the voltage is slightly lower (aside from the odd cadence of the aforementioned rings). The only question I would have at the moment about optioning an extension as a fax extension would be, am I going to get the fast wink I was getting before on the partner phones when a call went unanswered? Presumably because it thinks the fax is out of paper. I had asked that in a previous post and Touch Tone Tommy set me right. I had a partner extension optioned as a fax line and every time the phone rang it would start the 3 wink cadence. I just don't want that again. I think there's an option for a modem, which gives it a standard dial tone, even on the icom line, and no funny ring cadences.
I guess I don't necessarily have to put the 1A2 behind the ACS but it would be nice to have the intercom work between them. I'm only going to have 3 1A2 phones, at least for a while, so if I can make it work behind the ACS, that's my goal.

Last edited by ChrisRR; 09/01/14 11:39 PM.
ChrisRR #576828 09/02/14 12:14 AM
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Yup...The voltage is lower than a POTs line. I think the Partner generates a ringing voltage in the mid to upper 40s. POTs lines ring at 90v/20Hz.

I Love FEATURE 00
ChrisRR #576831 09/02/14 12:46 AM
Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
"Mid to upper 40s" ack No wonder I have to switch all my old sets to low bias. I wonder if that will be enough to "trigger" a 400H line card. I have to imagine my Comcast voice modem isn't any better. So going before the partner may not cut it either. I really hate the thought of giving Fairpoint any of my money just to make this stuff work, but if a true pots line is the only answer...

Last edited by ChrisRR; 09/02/14 12:48 AM.
ChrisRR #576832 09/02/14 12:50 AM
Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
Id probably be their first new subscriber in years. call

ChrisRR #576840 09/02/14 05:46 AM
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
I know that quite a few have a negative view of FairPoint, but I heard...from an operational perspective...they had quite a job straightening up the mess that Verizon left behind.

Because 1A2 equipment predates Internet and cable service, it may boil down to how close the signal mimics a Bell System signal.

I Love FEATURE 00
ChrisRR #576841 09/02/14 07:36 AM
Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
Yes. Verizon left New Hampshire and Vermont in absolute shambles. After the Fairpoint takeover you were lucky just to have dial tone. Part of the problem was the mess Vz left them, to be fair, the other part of the problem was they really weren't prepared to handle the large expansion that buyout got them. To FP's credit they really have done quite a bit to both fix their reputation, and their operation. They are running fiber like mad around here and throughout the state, even in the most rural of areas. Most of the copper plant is in really good shape and I see their trucks maintaining it constantly. It's too bad the changeover went so poorly, they would probably have kept a lot more customers. While I may not be a big fan of FP, it really does make me sad that the world is running away from hardwired telephone service en masse. The old Bell guys built one of the most amazing and intricate systems the world had ever seen, and it is slowly falling into obsolescence around us. It really is a shame.

I find it funny that I am installing equipment older than I am (35) that still works and likely has never been repaired, yet nothing made today will be around that long. I just bought some 2500 sets from the mid to early 70's that all I had to do was replace the mounting cords some dummy cut off and give them a good cleaning (to the outside) and they worked perfectly. The only modification I had to do was take the ringer lead off of G and move to L2. A testament to the way things used to be. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that 551c works behind my Comcast crapola, just because of how well WECO built it. It wont arrive for another week or so, but I will be sure to keep everyone posted on my progress.

ChrisRR #576847 09/02/14 09:22 AM
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Not to steer the topic completely off onto a side street....

I suspect that, within the areas that FairPoint runs fiber, the company will take a page out of Verizon's playbook, and start migrating users off of copper.

In areas where Verizon is offering FiOS service, the company will move users onto fiber if quality issues cannot be resolved after a few attempts. The existing copper is not being repaired/maintained.

Of course....in areas where FiOS is not offered....Verizon will continue to maintain copper...for now anyway. Verizon has capped FiOS expansion here in Massachusetts and...rumor has it...wants to switch to a wireless delivery system.

I've had FiOS service for many years, and have had no problems connecting with my Avaya Partner ACS. I don't think that there would be a problem connecting a 1A2 to FairPoint's version.

I Love FEATURE 00
ChrisRR #576852 09/02/14 10:51 AM
Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
I doubt there would be an issue as well. Still all copper down my street. That's not to say the fiber isn't up there but the drops to all the houses are still copper. No ONT's from what I can tell. Heck, I have four copper drops to my house and two still have battery on them. No service or DT to be sure, but they are still alive. If I can't get the 1A2 working with what I have I'll see what Fairpoint's rates are for basic service. I do like the reliability of a pots line over how flakey my comcast service can be. Any power outage can knock that thing out. I'm so far from their head end that any pole mounted amp that loses power knocks my service out. And I live in Manchester. Not exactly rural.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Topics
New chat forum
by metelcom - 09/26/24 12:26 PM
CO assignment to station key
by SamL - 09/20/24 09:05 AM
SV9100 Yesterday's technology today...
by Carl Navarro - 09/19/24 08:29 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,402
Posts639,369
Members49,808
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Newest Members
DavidMirror, Si-14 LLC, SamL, xsh74, LukeE.
49,808 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
dexman 10
teleco 5
R4+Z 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 208 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998 - 2024