web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Support Service-Disabled Veterans!
Discount software from Direct Deals
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Does anyone have and sugestions on how to provide keypad access to a sliding glass door. this is for a residence and they need to control access. They have an eldery person their that tends to wander. I sugested using a rail lock, but the caretaker enters the home via the sliding door, so that is a no go. Any ideas?

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Anthony, I have no knowledge of alarm/security systems, but would it be possible to use one of the magnetic units that hold doors open in hospitals or other commercial facilities? Maybe this would provide enough resistance to make it difficult for an elderly person to force it, yet the power could be removed from it via a relay contact? Just a guess.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
How bout this?

web page

ed that is the route I was thinkiing, I am just trying to figure a good way to mount the magnet and strike. I can control that via a standalone keypad like a corby.

matt that just might work

Anthony:

The electrical portion can be mounted in a standard weatherproof box (better looking than a standard electrical box), then fastened to the wall using standard "L" brackets. If you mount them with the legs facing the door opening, the box will cover them from view. As for the catch that mounts on the door, you could probably just use the same type of "L" brackets to hold it without a box. It's still not going to be pretty, but it may be the cheapest way out and a Corby keypad will certainly give you a cheap means of local control.

The fact that you have to hold down the last digit on the keypad to keep the coil energized (or de-energized) would make it complicated for the escapee even if they did figure out the code!

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
I think Matt's link is a good option instead of mag locks but since I've become more aware of the fire codes in the last few years a major concern for me would be: What will happen in the event of a fire in the residence?

Use a relay contact in the alarm panel to bypass or "hold open" the latch until released. Same way you would operate a driveway gate to allow fire and ems apparatus into a driveway upon activation of the building alarm.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

With our fire alarm systems at UT, a power loss or system failure will release all of the door closers...they can be opened but do not stay open. We had a short in some wiring a month or so ago and many of our doors were affected.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Arthur, no alarm system on site, that was my first recomendation. I showed the link matt provdided to the enduser, he is going to take a look at it, but that may be the way he goes. This is for a friend of mine for his home, he will be installing the unit, he is an old phone guy as well.

Bobby, you raise a very valid point, I will make sure I metion it.

Ed, that would work but puke lol

For a quick fix he is going to go low tech ..a small latch on the outside of the door. I will let you guys know what happens.

THANKS for the input

Uh oh.

I clicked a few links to see how much the gizmo was, and:

Uh oh

First thing to do may be to call them. Hopefully they just removed the price and the product isn't actually discontinued.....

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Topics
New chat forum
by metelcom - 09/26/24 12:26 PM
CO assignment to station key
by SamL - 09/20/24 09:05 AM
SV9100 Yesterday's technology today...
by Carl Navarro - 09/19/24 08:29 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,402
Posts639,367
Members49,808
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Newest Members
DavidMirror, Si-14 LLC, SamL, xsh74, LukeE.
49,808 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
dexman 10
pvj 5
Who's Online Now
2 members (Manuel008, Carl Navarro), 148 guests, and 167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998 - 2024