Support Service-Disabled Veterans!
Discount software from Direct Deals
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#472678 12/10/08 11:26 AM
Our VoIP sales in 08 better than 862k and still 350K in the pipeline with requests every week for quotes. Our TDM sales were only 1/2 of that.

A lot of the difference in sales can be attributed to what you and your sales people push now doesn't it?

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#472679 12/10/08 11:46 AM
Hal, traditional phone vendor's learning how to sell, install & then service VOIP systems is a very steep learning curve.

we all know that VOIP has lots of exciting promises, but if not installed correctly can become a total disaster.

But let’s not pretend that TDM service in the U.S. is a dreamland of quality & service.

Let’s not pretend that having your call routed over a Verizon POTS line installed on 60yr old cable with hiss & noise on the line is anything but that.

Every system I have ever put in with a PRI works, but they have all had on going problems with alarms & other issues.

Avalon Services
New Jersey Voip Telephone systems voice & Data Cabling
www.avalonphones.com
#472680 12/10/08 12:07 PM
Hal

Sorry but no...not here!.

When I said requests for quotes 8 out of 10 ask specifically for VoIP or applications that only IP provides.

We don't push technologies on clients we educate them and find out what they really need today and five years or so down the road. Its called providing solutions to the needs and forcasted needs of a business.

They spend there money any way they want to.

Isn't that what all good interconnects do?

#472681 12/10/08 01:19 PM
I know we have had this debate so many times...
as someone young and new in the industry, I am willing to learn whatever technology is out there that can further my business and skills. Just today I spoke to an electrician who was working at the school. He suggested that I take some CAD classes and combine the computer and electronics skills. I realize that VOIP is not for everyone or every situation...knowing how a particular technology works is really the way to know how to apply it in each case.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#472682 12/11/08 04:19 PM
I don't believe in pure IP just yet, like Asterisk. Maybe down the road, who knows. But if you talk VOIP in a cost reduction solution for multi-sites businesses, then it is absolutely a must.

We have a customer (they advertise on the boards at the Bell Center) that are linked from TO, Miami, Algeria, Montréal, Gatineau, Sherbrooke, Longueuil, Varennes. Guess how? Yep, VoIP.

While I agree that for the residential customer, cell phones ("phone" is a vast understatement today) are replacing land lines, killing VoIP in its egg.

What will save PSTN is optical fibre, and the 2-3 bills days will be a thing of the past even for those who resist. Fibre is here in my city and will be in my suburb in a year. I will still have a "physical connection"; I can't see the day when my world will resolve around a cell, but that's just me.

But copper won't come back in fashion and will be stuck in neutral for years before going the way of the telegraph. 10, 20, 30 years? Who knows; if you read experts from start of the decade, we should be there already. :rofl:

Most of our sales are hybrid solutions, pure IP doesn't have a market right now where I'm from.

Dead? No. Fire sale/rebuild? definitely.

Yes, I'm a frenchie; have a problem with that?? Well, I do!!
#472683 12/31/08 04:44 AM
Is everyone forgetting that 3Com has VoIP system for years? Works great, now they have the big boy VCX system, very nice system and we installed on over two years ago to a bank that has 30 locations and they really love it. Also, Fonality and Trixbox, these systems can even as small business can afford and have the latest and greatest technology out there. I been in the telecommunication business for 12 year and seen many changes. Yes, this is a learning curve but this is what this business is all about. Always changing, so for the better and some for the worst is what YOU make out to be.

Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much
#472684 12/31/08 10:01 AM
This article is little more then a advertisment for Skype, a propietary over hyped "network" that eBay grosely overpaid for.

The only thing that I can agree with about this arcle is that VOIP has created price comeptition. However, this is temporary. Eventually your investor wants to make money.

The market is correcting its self. Companies who should of never been in the business are closing up shop and/ or scaling back. This includes Cisco. It is redicolus the amount of hoops I have to go though to perofm a MAC on CallManager compared to Avaya.

The main problem with VOIP, other then the fact that it has attracted unqualified people to this industry (Asterisk anyone?) is that it is assumed VOIP is a all or nothing propisition. I use it in large call centers all the time and it works just fine with my TDM Avaya Callmasters. I also use it for home agents and to send calls to remote call centers.

The writer of this article (who I suspect is really Skype) is clearly unqualified to make such bold claims that "VOIP is dead".

- Nortel, Siemens and Ericsson "top VOIP verdors"? Hardly. Nortel is near bankruptcy, Siemens was late to the party and is now apart of Gore and Ericsson exited the business selling out to Aastra. Who has actually seen a Ericsson VOIP phone system in the USA where this article was written? Who has actually seen a Ericsson VOIP phone system anywhere in the world??

- Yes, SIP is a open protocol. Large phone systems such as Avaya, Siemens, Cisco use SIP with propietary extensions that make the phones act like a digital phone. This is a problem with SIP and not VOIP. The same argument can be made about VXML. The writer of this article is not declaring that IVRs and Speech servers are dead. Also, most large business dont care about this claim. They would rather buy all their phone equipment from one vendor if not for compatibility but for convience. I buy analog phones from Avaya. If you want 100% open VOIP, get a Asterisk box, just dont expect the same functionality and reliabilty as a "propietary" VOIP phone system. My Avaya S8700s use SIP with 3rd party equipment just fine. My "propietary" VOIP phones have one step installation, plug them in. Can asterisk do this?

- Cell phones are not a replacment for a phone system. Even if their pricing becomes equivlent to useing a phone system, who wants to use a cell phone for 8 hours a day, on confrence calls, using advanced features, etc. What network do cell phones use in the back end? VOIP and TDM.

Its contradictory that the writer suggests that we sould all convert to Skype creating a global telecom monopoly of a size that we have never seen before yet complains about the limitations of the SIP protocols openness. How open is Skype (both its protocol and its network)? So because SIP is not perfect we sould all convert to Skype?

VOIP is just getting started, and the future is not a propietary system like Skype.

#472685 03/29/09 04:52 PM
I agree that VoIP is far from dead.
Im constantly upgrading and enabling IP functionality on systems, planning the use of it in disaster recovery, and implementing it over TDM when it makes sense.

How about the Einstein that completely remodeled a building across the street from his main building but didnt install any copper between the buildings. He didnt forget the fiber cable so as you can see he had to buy POE.

It might be down but not out.

CCNA
CCNA Voice
MCSE W2K3
Security +
CS1000 5.5
Toshiba
Comdial
Avaya
Mitel
Norstar
#472686 04/03/09 09:52 AM
Who has actually seen a Ericsson VOIP phone system in the USA where this article was written? Who has actually seen a Ericsson VOIP phone system anywhere in the world??
Me......We have installed several and support over 45 systems that have a combination of VoIP and traditional PBX lines - extensions...all together more than 100,000 extensions. :thumb:

I am looking to hire another Ericsson tech and a Siemens HiPath tech if anyone knows one?

Ericsson MD110 and MX-One Systems are for large campus and enterprise enviroments - same for Siemens and Nortel totally different market space.

#472687 04/03/09 05:08 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Wow, that averages to over 2,000 stations per system. Not bad! aok

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Topics
New chat forum
by metelcom - 09/26/24 12:26 PM
CO assignment to station key
by SamL - 09/20/24 09:05 AM
SV9100 Yesterday's technology today...
by Carl Navarro - 09/19/24 08:29 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,402
Posts639,366
Members49,808
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Newest Members
DavidMirror, Si-14 LLC, SamL, xsh74, LukeE.
49,808 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
dexman 10
teleco 5
R4+Z 5
Who's Online Now
2 members (MooreTel, JBean3329), 323 guests, and 213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998 - 2024