Business Phone Systems

Support Service-Disabled Veterans!
Discount software from Direct Deals
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hello. I'm a newbie on this forum and hello and thank you to everyone.

Recently, I sold two Western Electric Bell System touch tone phones on Ebay - probably circa 1978-1982. They worked perfectly fine in Colorado (Cable modem), but didn't work (can't dial out) in Virginia and Florida. I received one phone back and it worked perfectly fine again in Colorado. Dial out, Dial in, dial tone, speaking, listening, etc.

Can anyone advise what the problem might be? I love these older vintage phones, but am scared to deal with them if this problem persists.

Thank you!

Brian
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Probably just a polarity issue. Those had to be ring to ring and tip to tip. If the line is turned over they will do exactly as you're discribing.

Retired phone dude
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Reversing polarity was a simple way back then to make a phone be used for incoming only. If I remember, the later dials were labeled OPG for Opposite Polarity Guard and those dials eliminated the condition.

Besides, If the phone doesn't work where you send it to, just tell them their wiring is backwards. They will go nuts when you say that but you will be right. You will then see what kind of customer response some us have to put up with!

FYI - Here's a freebie. Since you like old phones, you may eventually encounter an install with rotary phones. If one is wired backwards, it can also jingle when another rotary phone is dialing.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Brian:

To cut to the chase, just tell them to reverse the red/green. Instead of green/green and red/red at their jack, just tell them to make it green/red and red/green.

This isn't your fault. There is nothing wrong with the phones. The customer's jacks are just wired improperly.

I'm sure that you have no intention of receiving the phones back and installing polarity guards in order to complete the sale. That would be silly.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
he already has one back Ed and he said he wants to continue selling them seems like he would be better served not having to deal with customer complaints

Skip

You guys have been incredible. Thank you so much. The client in Florida - Longwood, said they have vintage touch tone phones that are working just fine - as is in their current home. I know the phone I sent works just fine because I tested it before I bought it, I tested it before I listed it, and I tested it before I shipped it.

If they have older touch tones that are working fine in their residence, can it still be a polarity issue?

I find this interesting. I love the older phones as I have a few western electric rotary that I use and would like to continue to offer older touch tone and rotarys for others, but not if I have to keep refunding the cost of shipping - to and from.

Your knowledge and feedback is much appreciated. Thank you!

Brian
Also, I forgot to mention - The both customers said they said they tested it on several jacks in their home and the customer in FL also on their cable phone line. Can it be a coincidence that the customer in VA had a polarity issue and the customer in Florida's phone was damaged somehow during shipping (bubble wrapped, foam peanut surround, over sized shipping box - protected against damage)?

OR, can it still be a polarity issue. I'm out $40-$45 each phone (Shipping to and from and cost of phone). I don't care about the money if I'm in the wrong or it was damaged during shipping, but for some reason, it seems a little strange.

Thanks again!

Brian
It is a polarity issue. The phones they have may have polarity guards in them. If you're going to ship these out I'd put the polarity guards in them as Skip suggested.

Retired phone dude
not everyone would be comfortable taking the jack off and reversing the wires and keep in mind if its reversed at their premise and they reverse the wires in the jack someone may correct the reversed polarity on the telco side in which case the phone would stop working again

I used to carry the polarity guards with me explain the situation to the customer and offer to install the guards for a permanent fix

do a google search for polarity guard and you might find a better deal that was just the first one that came up for me

Skip

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Topics
New chat forum
by metelcom - 09/26/24 12:26 PM
CO assignment to station key
by SamL - 09/20/24 09:05 AM
SV9100 Yesterday's technology today...
by Carl Navarro - 09/19/24 08:29 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,402
Posts639,368
Members49,808
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Newest Members
DavidMirror, Si-14 LLC, SamL, xsh74, LukeE.
49,808 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
dexman 10
pvj 5
Who's Online Now
4 members (justbill, KRRath, BobRobert, dexman), 200 guests, and 358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998 - 2024