Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#20390 09/30/08 11:16 AM
Moderator-ESI - Executone
Moderator-ESI - Executone
My 2cents, I've read thru everyones comments, As soon as I read the first one, I was thinking that maybe the phone was modified for Diode ringing? It's been too long ago for me to remember the correct name for it?

also, the fact that the OP said something about the phone just going ding-ding, instead of RING-RING .

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel..

Retirement 2019 ( It has happened )
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#20391 10/01/08 05:13 PM
nonameyet,

im sorry. i meant that the ringer didnt ring loud, like most old bell type phones do. it rang normal, just weak, not loud as i remember them ringing. im still pluging away at it:)...bob

#20392 10/02/08 11:05 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Nonameyet -

Matrix ringing was, what I think you're talking about. It involved removing the capacitor from the bell circuit and was really only used on common bell (Key system) circuits. On a single line appearance without the capacitor the bell would hold up the line.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#20393 10/02/08 05:30 PM
just what exactly does the cap do? does it filter noise that may occur on the callers receiver from the ac voltage ringing the bells?

bob

#20394 10/03/08 04:13 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
The bell's coil resistance is around 1000 ohms. Placing the bell coil across the phone line, the central office would probably think you had the telephone off-hook because of direct current flow. The capacitor prevents the flow of direct current. Because of the capacitor's ability to pass alternating current (90-130 VAC, 20-30 Htz), the bell rings without the central office thinking you have the phone off-hook. However, capacitors have AC resistance, called impedance. Capacitors can fail or degrade 3 different ways 1. Short and electrically appear to be a wire. 2. Open and electrically look like nothing. 3. Slowly degrade, becoming a lower and lower value making their impedance rise. Ringer capacitors, as an example, start at .47uf-.5uf. As they degrade to, as an example, .22uf, their impedance, or AC resistance, increases. All other things being equal, a rise in Impedance, or AC resistance, will result in a lower current flow. In the case of ringers, not as much 'power' is available to ring the bell. Hence, the bell is not as loud as it used to be. I know, TMI! smile John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#20395 10/03/08 04:27 AM
By the way, putting another .47uf-.5uf capacitor in parallel with the exhisting .47uf-.5uf capacitor will lower the impedance, or AC resistance. If the original capacitor is in good condition, this may lower the impedance enough to cause the central office to think you answered the telephone during the 'ring', commonly referred to as 'ring-trip' among other names that we won't discuss. So, the phone rings once, generally not a full ring, and doesn't ring again. Depending on the SLIC (Subsciber Line Interface Circuit) in the Central Office, Slic Hut, PBX, or S/L port in a hybrid phone system, the SLIC may reset for another call, or lock-up, causing a continious busy signal to all callers. Again, TMI. smile John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#20396 10/03/08 04:50 AM
Lots of good information here. However the most common cause of this problem is as follows:

If it is a bell telephone such as a 500 and the bell has two gongs. If you look at the clapper which, of course is located between the two gongs, you will see a thin wire tension spring. In the metal bracket where this spring rests there are two notches. Move the spring to the other notch and try this.

#20397 10/03/08 01:22 PM
Jack we've already been down that road. Based on the age of the phone, it's probably got a tired bias spring, that needs a little TLC. Go back and check page 1, we've pretty much tried everything. frown John C.

#20398 10/03/08 03:02 PM
jack, light,

i just purchased a new ringer for the phone. it rings alittle louder, not much tho, but seems to respond better, and i even tried the bias spring in both postions, no diff. im starting to think it may be the cap failing, makes sense how light discribed it. i might as well put an external cap across "a" and 'k", correct?, dont think it can hurt to try it for a test...bob

#20399 10/03/08 03:23 PM
Originally posted by bobo1960:
just what exactly does the cap do?

bob
When I was in tech school the Instructor told us as far as the telephone was concerned capacitors were for blocking dc voltage.
Which the capacitor does in fact keep the ringer from being directly connected to Tip & Ring since ring voltage is AC.

But I think connecting the ringer directly to Tip & Ring (Bridged ringing) was only a problem in the dial pulse days. In those days if you did connect the ringer directly to Tip & Ring you often got bell "claps" when you dialed a number.
But if you reversed the bell leads the problem went away in most cases.

I learned all of these tricks when I was in the Air Force over seas and we just had to make do with what we had on hand to "get 'er done".

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Topics
New chat forum
by metelcom - 09/26/24 12:26 PM
CO assignment to station key
by SamL - 09/20/24 09:05 AM
SV9100 Yesterday's technology today...
by Carl Navarro - 09/19/24 08:29 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,402
Posts639,368
Members49,808
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Newest Members
DavidMirror, Si-14 LLC, SamL, xsh74, LukeE.
49,808 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
dexman 10
pvj 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 383 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998 - 2024